General Categories > Open Flourish | General Discussion

Calligraphy: Share the Craft, Preserve the Trade

<< < (2/14) > >>

Starlee:
I have nothing of intellectual matter to add, but I had to reply to this. I found out about your blog entry not through the forum, but on a calligraphy facebook page I follow (can't remember its name offhand). I read the article and only realized at the end that Erica was the author! That was amazing. I smiled big time. You go Erica! You are such an inspiration to us all!

clangsdorf:
I wish I had some pearl of wisdom to add. Just wanted to let you know I read your thoughtful post and I am glad to see these points being raised. I must say I am one who does scratch her head a lot at 'modern' calligraphy and how they can possibly teach it in 2.5 hours with wine. Most of my students realize it takes much more practice and understanding than what can be offered in that time frame. However, it is good to get the general public aware of this wonderful art of letters.  I am sure I started 'for hire' way too early and regret some of the work I put out there; but in the early days, it came to me once someone saw what I was doing. Now, after 20+ years, I finally feel good about what I can offer clients but I have to work very hard to get my business out there and find work.
I will eagerly watch to see what folks have to say in response to this thread. Thanks Erica!

AmyNeub:
Great article. I love how this is explained. You are a wealth of information. I hope that newbies read this too. As always "Learn the rules before you break them"

And IMO, have http://IAMPETH.com/rarebooks be one of the most frequented website you browse.

And also, why is modern calligraphy so popular? I think Copperplate and Spencerian are so elegant. Sometimes I have a hard time reading modern. Oh well. Probably Pinterest made it popular.

Jennifer J:
It is interesting to hear your thoughts, Erica, as well as the thoughts of other experienced calligraphers. I know I am one of those newcomers, although I have just always loved beautiful writing and really don't feel like I have started this journey as a result of popular culture. (Actually, that would turn me off of something more than anything. I like to think I am unique, haha!) It seems like there would be a fine line among those of you who have been doing this for a long time to be open and welcoming to newcomers and yet discerning about how much of yourself you invest. I have certainly seen that within other disciplines. People come in all excited and you put in time and effort only to see that excitement fizzle out or else you see them quickly move on to doing their own thing since they know just enough to know it all. Meanwhile I am hanging in there with my copperplate practice, trying to make beautiful letters and to not rush ahead into other scripts. (Spencerian and italic, I am coming for you some day!)

Erica McPhee:

--- Quote from: Starlee on August 20, 2015, 08:28:30 PM ---I read the article and only realized at the end that Erica was the author! That was amazing. I smiled big time. You go Erica! You are such an inspiration to us all!

--- End quote ---

LOL! Thank you Star!  ;D

--- Quote from: clangsdorf on August 20, 2015, 09:06:46 PM ---...how they can possibly teach it in 2.5 hours with wine... I am sure I started 'for hire' way too early and regret some of the work I put out there; but in the early days, it came to me once someone saw what I was doing. Now, after 20+ years, I finally feel good about what I can offer clients but I have to work very hard to get my business out there and find work.

--- End quote ---

Ha ha! "with wine!"  ;D  I feel the same Catherine , especially about some of the greeting cards I designed. Wish I could have a do over now!  ;D And yes, that is exactly one of the points I am referring to regarding the business out there.

--- Quote from: AmyNeub on August 20, 2015, 09:33:27 PM ---Probably Pinterest made it popular.

--- End quote ---

I am going to put that on a t-shirt, Amy!!!  ;D

--- Quote from: Jennifer J on August 20, 2015, 10:22:31 PM ---...People come in all excited and you put in time and effort only to see that excitement fizzle out or else you see them quickly move on to doing their own thing since they know just enough to know it all...
--- End quote ---

Yes, this exactly!

--- Quote --- Meanwhile I am hanging in there with my copperplate practice, trying to make beautiful letters and to not rush ahead into other scripts. (Spencerian and italic, I am coming for you some day!)

--- End quote ---

Keep going Jennifer!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version