General Categories > Brush Calligraphy

first try with pentel's aquash

(1/3) > >>

reneewrites:
i recently got my hands on brush lettering (since it's all the rage now) & i must say i'm pretty happy that i get to create something new & it's not too bad for a first try! ;) i used a pentel aquash brush in medium & realised that i should've gotten the small one too because i find it alil difficult to control my letters using the medium. will try the small aquash brush & see how it goes!

i also tried using a cheap regular rounded brush to create calligraphy - bad idea :( maybe i need more practice with it. i may invest alil on the brush because the one i was using has fibres that keeps coming off so it affects my lettering. i want to start trying watercolour calligraphy so i would think a good set of brush is important! do let me know if you guys have any recommendations for it! :) :) (& also for watercolour)

here's what i've created so far - this is a 5"x7" frame piece.
i also had fun creating the "splatters" effect using that cheap brush! ;D

please feel free to comment & let me know how i can improve my works further (:

cheers!

tiffany.c.a:
Yay Renee! It looks very nice, pretty consistent for a first try.

reneewrites:
thanks, tiffany for your kind words! :) still need to practice, practice, practice!! :P

artbyrim:
Hi Renee!

Wow that's really great for a first try! I have all the sizes of the aquash pen and I only use the fine point one for lettering. The medium and large ice mostly used to add watercolor wash on some pieces.

There are two ways to hold a brush pen that has bristle hair. You could either hold it as you hold a felt tip brush pen which is angled. Or you could hold it upright with the brush barely touching the paper for hairlines and then push the pen down with your finger to create downstrokes. Try both ways and see which fits!

The brush makes a lot of difference at least for me when doing watercolor calligraphy. Try a winsor and Newton cotman. So many great watercolors out there. I like concentrated liquid watercolors that you can just dip your brush in. Ph. Martins are great. Heard good things about ecoline but never tried it

Good luck!

ericp:
Before you go out and splurge on pro brands like Winsor and Newton or Daniel Smith (not that there's anything wrong with that  ;) )  you may want to try your hand with cheaper watercolors first.  You may want to try both the tube watercolor and the pan (dry cake) watercolor to see what you prefer.

The pans are typically used for watercolor work in the outdoors because it makes for a compact kit.  Some folks here on FF have posted that they bought a cheap kid's set and it works fine even though you get less quality of pigment and typically very little resistance to sunlight (color alteration is important for watercolor works, as you know and this is why the pro brands are really worth it).

Personally I found a very nice (and cheap!) brand of tube watercolor in my local art supplies store.  In my case:   Royal Talens Van Gogh.  (Alas!! no longer available from my store  :-[  but I actually bought about thirty tubes so I should fine for a very long time  8) )
You should find, like me, that one small dot of liquid watercolor on a plastic palette will last quite a long time.

I find the tube watercolor easier to mix than the cakes.  I also use watercolor for calligraphy.  The small dots dry up and can be re-wet later so it's the best of both worlds IMHO.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version