Author Topic: Hello from Ohio  (Read 515 times)

Offline herbs53

• View Profile
Hello from Ohio
« on: March 25, 2023, 07:40:25 PM »
I am so pleased to have discovered this forum. I am a hobbyist at best and have lots of questions all of the time.

I grew up in Geneva, Ohio, the home of Platt Rogers Spencer. I even attended the elementary school named after him. The house where he lived is in the process of being restored with the intent of it becoming a museum.I still live in the area and am a member of the Platt R. Spencer Historical Society.

I am a retired elementary teacher who taught cursive writing for many years but my wish was to learn Spencerian writing. Now that I'm retired I've been able to take some classes to help me learn to write using Spencerian script. My brain at times seems to be at a default setting for Zaner Bloser, which is what I taught to my students. Luckily, there are a lot of similarities in letter forms.  I've learned that sometimes it's the little details that make things easier, like learning how to adjust the flange on my pen so that the pen point is at a good angle for the way I hold the pen. What a difference!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 01:26:36 AM »
Well, that sounds so interesting! Do you ever find ephemera at local vintage stores? I always wondered if the areas around where these master penmen lived had any treasures.

Please do ask any questions you think we might be able to help with! Lots of Spencerian lovers here.

Welcome!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
I am so pleased to have discovered this forum. I am a hobbyist at best and have lots of questions all of the time.

@herbs53 and we're so glad you're here! This is most definitely the place for questions and enthusiasts of all levels. I'm certain you will discover, as I have, the joy of learning from others far along in their journeys as well as from questions us hobbyists pose. The FF members have been so kind and helpful.

Now that I'm retired I've been able to take some classes to help me learn to write using Spencerian script.

Although starting earlier in life may have brought dividends, there's nothing like retiring to make way for more dedicated time to practice! Highly recommended, that retirement.   ;D

Looking forward to hearing more from you ... welcome!

~Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline jordantruster

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:28:45 AM »
Hello! We have some things in common: I'm also new to this forum, from Ohio, and studying Spencerian :)
- Jordan

My Instagram

Offline Chessie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2023, 12:44:19 AM »
Greetings to Ohio!  Welcome to the show!  Super glad to have you! 

We have several former teachers on the forums and they've been some of the most helpful people imaginable. 

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 07:21:12 PM »
@herbs53  Greetings to the wonderland of Spenser . Glad to to get to know and about you  and big welcome to the club.  ;D

Ohio is a well celebrated place in this forum. So you are with the like minded people who would like to get more questions about your journey into writing , I am sure.