Author Topic: Engrosser's script exercise  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
Engrosser's script exercise
« on: November 28, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
I have been trying to learn Engrosser's script for a few months. Here is my latest exercise.  I made a mistake with the Brause word. I got confused with the connector between the R and the A.  I assume you connect at the top of the A.   I like this nib for its flex and fine hairlines.
I would be pleased to hear your criticism

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
Re: Engrosser's script exercise
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 09:26:44 PM »
One kind critique would be to line your slants. So everything stays consistent.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
It's looking very nice!

If you have Eleanor Winters' Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy, you can see an example on p. 69 of that type of "r" connecting to an "a". She connects it at the top. I'm sure you could find an example in some other resources as well.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »
I have been trying to learn Engrosser's script for a few months. Here is my latest exercise.  I made a mistake with the Brause word. I got confused with the connector between the R and the A.  I assume you connect at the top of the A.   I like this nib for its flex and fine hairlines.
I would be pleased to hear your criticism

Here's an example of the linking of r and a

As you assumed, with the other type of r, the connection to the following a would be at the top.

I think that your lettering is very good. I think that all that is lacking is general consistency. Certainly, practicing on paper with slope lines as a guide, makes life much simpler.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 10:31:31 AM by Ken Fraser »