Author Topic: Wax Seal Suppliers  (Read 39720 times)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
Re: Wax Seal Suppliers
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »

Why did they wipe it on the paper at the end? The melted wax would just harden back onto the stick if they left it alone, wouldn't it?

Even after blowing out the flame, a bit of ember/soot remains on the wick and if not completely extinguished, the wick will continue smoking and burning like an incense. I like to just dip the wick in a drop of water afterwards, but these guys just wiped it on the paper.

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

P.s. Schin, you are the whole reason I got my wax seals.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
Ah, good to know. Thanks!

P.s. Schin, you are the whole reason I got my wax seals.

Haha good, don't let me go bankrupt alone!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2015, 04:29:26 PM »

Haha good, don't let me go bankrupt alone!

Never! We'll go down in penniless ruin together, surrounded by our gorgeous wax seals.

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Schin, thanks for the head's up of atelier gargoyle--there is a lot of information on that website! I had already ordered a wax seal awhile ago, but haven't yet broken it in....to be seen soon in the valentine's exchange!! :)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
If you buy from Atelier Gargoyle they will include a ton of literature on everything you need to know about wax seals. Here is a blog post I made about my package from them: http://openinkstand.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/atelier-gargoyle-sealing-wax/

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 11:15:20 PM »
Thanks Schin, I pinned your blog for future reference so I can remember the website! :)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline MaureenV

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy Crush Magazine
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »
Would anyone mind sharing photos of the wax seal stamps they have?

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to make sealing wax?  I wonder what makes the mailable versions flexible, bees wax?  You could always use crayons for color!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
I wonder what makes the mailable versions flexible, bees wax?

Here's a recipe for you, Ellen:

One pound of bees' wax, three ounces of turpentine, and one ounce of olive oil, are
put into a proper vessel over the fire, and allowed to boil for some time, when the mixture will be
well incorporated, and fit to be formed into rolls or cakes for use. To colour such soft wax, an
ounce of any one of the colouring substances of which we shall presently speak, must be stirred
in while boiling, till thoroughly incorporated with the wax. By pouring the melted soft wax into
cold water, it is brought to the requisite consistency to be formed into the rolls or cakes. But
before this is done, the wax is sometimes perfumed: this is effected by adding to every pound of
wax, an ounce of gum benjamin, a scruple of oil of rhodium, ten grains of musk, five grains of
civet, and five of ambergris. These various scents are rubbed up with the oil, and sprinkled on the
wax while in a warm state.

The usual colouring matter is vermilion, but there are other options (I left out the bit about red lead):

Coloured sealing wax is prepared in other respects in the same way, only altering the colouring
matter according to the tint required. For green wax, instead of vermilion, powdered verdigris is
employed: for a brighter green, distilled or crystals of verdigris: for blue, powdered smalt: for light
blue, verditer, or a mixture of verditer and smalt: for yellow, masticot; or for a brighter tint,
turbith mineral. The purple wax is made like the red, only lessening the quantity of vermilion,
and taking a larger or smaller proportion of smalt, according to the required shade of colour. [...]
The best black sealing wax is prepared as above described, except that ivory-black is subtituted
for the vermilion, and in the commoner kinds, lamp-black.

Bet you're itching to get going now!  :)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 08:03:30 PM »
Ambergris!  I must have ambergris!

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
I know Erica mentioned this but did you know there are glue sticks that are used for wax seals?  They work marvelous.  I often have brides that ask their guests about the wax seals they send on their env and they're disappointed when told; what wax seal?  They fall off during the stamp cancelling.  The glue seals work a whole lot better and actually STICK.
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
Two questions:

Once you get the hang of it, how many envelopes will a stick from Gargoyle seal?

Has anyone compared the visual appearance of the different waxes available?  I've seen some that look like plastic and others that look more like cinnabar than lacquer,--though not really like either, as an example.   
Debbie

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »
Hi all you wax enthusiasts. There are several posts to this question, but I haven't seen anything pertaining to the supplies from The Manuscript Pen Company. They not only have an abundance of colors, styles, etc . of wax, but stamps as well. You really ought to check 'em out! Of course I represent the company and have their catalogs.
Harvey (penstaff)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »
One tip-  if you are sealing a lot of letters, the Winter exchange for example, rest the seal on an ice pack to cool it before making the next seal.  When the seal get hot, it sticks to the wax.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
Hi all you wax enthusiasts. There are several posts to this question, but I haven't seen anything pertaining to the supplies from The Manuscript Pen Company. They not only have an abundance of colors, styles, etc . of wax, but stamps as well. You really ought to check 'em out! Of course I represent the company and have their catalogs.
Harvey (penstaff)

I didn't even know Manuscript made wax seals!