Author Topic: Thoughts on being self-taught  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on being self-taught
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 09:30:44 AM »
I don't feel down about my work at all...not when progress is seen! We have to be realistic with time frame. Of course it varies on an individual basis, but a few months, even a year, isn't enough time to become really proficient. I love looking at others work regardless of skill level. When looking at the advanced members work, I don't feel bad at all. There is much to learn! I have full confidence that if I keep this up, I will get there with a lot of time, practice and patience. I like posting work here because the criticism I receive helps me see things I may overlook. In general though, this forum has helped me develop a more critical eye.

I appear to have got it entirely wrong here!  ???

I just had the impression that some self-learners felt that their work was somehow inferior because they didn't have formal tuition. I'm delighted that I was obviously mistaken and I apologise if I have inadvertently offended in any way.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:54:36 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »
Offended? Heck no! :) I love this thread you have started Ken. And I wouldn't be surprised if some felt that way. Since we are on the topic of self doubt, where I doubt myself most is on this forum when people ask for advice...I give it (if I have an opinion), but I'm not sure if I'm always giving good advice. I worry I may do more harm than good...
Star

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
I can see how people might look down upon self-taught calligraphers, because it is really hard. I hope no one looks down upon me for how I began calligraphy, because I can show them the student loans from studying art and design in college. The elements and principles of art/design apply to calligraphy. I guess if you have taken any formal art class you learn the same techniques as Ken summarizes. It's really hard to spend a lot of time on your letters, step back and critique it. I used to get anxiety when it was critique day in my art classes.

Moya, I love your points about masters and teachers helping with supplies, techniques and self-critique. I wish I had those resources as you.

Also, for many self-taught they do not have the money or resources available to have instructors. Or their goals might be just to write their holiday cards fancy and not make a living from it.

Just to add, what I like about calligraphy is its so new compared to most art forms. If you would like to travel and spend the money you can get a class with a master penman/calligrapher who was taught be an old master, who was taught by the person who made the exemplar. I hope that makes sense. In college, I learned how to oil paint, but my teacher was not taught by a master who could be linked back, because it is such an old art form. Well maybe, but not the same "linage".

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
I hope nobody who is self-taught feels inferior! I honestly think that if you are self-taught, you are travelling a much more difficult path, and you deserve more credit for your skill, not less.

Besides, I'm a classically trained calligrapher (LOL - okay, in maybe another couple of years I'll be classically trained, when I've finished the training!! and by "a couple of years" I mean "a couple of decades" because really, do we EVER stop getting better at this? it's going to take me thirty years!) and I see plenty of self-taught people who are a million times better than I am. 

There has to be a nice saying somewhere out there about "doesn't matter what path you take, you all arrive at the same destination, as long as you keep walking it," right?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:01:05 PM by Moya »

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
I agree with Moya on this. The years before I discovered pointed pen I spent with my face in books. I had looked on the internet for classes or some sort of information but couldn't find anything in terms of classes etc.  it wasn't until I took a skill share class earlier this year with Charmaine with everlycalligraphy that I discovered the forum, the iampeth website and local guild. Up until then I had no way of being professional trained.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »
....I mean, a lot of things I would have learned on this forum, if this forum existed fifteen years ago - but it would have taken so much more trial and error.  I wouldn't have been able to test pearlescent powders with a teacher guiding me, or borrow her books, or have her eagle eye on the italic variations saying "that's good, that one needs work" and so on.  Having the chance to work in the same room as other calligraphers, to see what the professionals put out and what I can aspire to, and to learn from the experienced ones, I think, is even more valuable than just having someone correct your letterforms.  There's so much more to this art than the shape of the letters. 

(but the shape of the letters is also critically important, don't get me wrong!)

You make a very strong case for tuition and I agree absolutely with all the points you make.
All I'm trying to say, is that, in the absence of a competent tutor, it is perfectly possible to self-teach to the same high level...but it does take a lot more time, self-discipline and perseverance on your own.

I hope nobody who is self-taught feels inferior! I honestly think that if you are self-taught, you are travelling a much more difficult path, and you deserve more credit for your skill, not less.

Well said!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:56:39 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2014, 04:53:51 PM »
Ken - I agree with you that with a bit of discipline it is quite possible to teach oneself.

I'm not sure I quite agree with it being preferable to learning from a teacher, even if the teacher teaches some less than ideal techniques. If a student is really interested in learning well, there is nothing stopping them from going beyond what they have learned from a teacher. At the very least, the teacher would help with getting started which in my opinion is the biggest hurdle. Many are frustrated by the pen-ink-paper-nib combinations not working when starting out (as I was :-).

Why should we consider self-learning to be mutually exclusive with learning from a teacher?

Salman,

Your points are well made.  :)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 10:34:38 PM »
Sunday Deep Thoughts
  by Amy

So I have been pondering this topic in my brain.

I look at things that come easy to me, like cooking, baking, running, swimming, math equations, art and design and I don't really think about doing them, but somehow it comes naturally to me.

Then I think of things that I struggle with, training my dog, doing yoga, grammar, spelling words and doing my taxes. I have bought books that kind of help, but it doesn't help me master it. I then sought an instructor that has helped me (kind of) manage my dog, I attend yoga classes at a local studio, bought a booking keeping app and I will never understand grammar, or spelling English words.

So my opinion, take it or leave it, maybe this is why calligraphers have mastered hands on their own. I have read a few rare books on IAMPETH and a few masters did just follow a book and became great penman/calligraphers.

Offline dailyblossoms

• View Profile
    • instagram
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »
I think teachers are a great treasure for all of us. They not only help one get the basic of a hand, a great teacher gets you in the spirit of that hand, explains a bit of history about it, make you feel the essence of what you're trying to learn.
I hade many workshops, many teachers, many hours of study on my own with and without reference book (just writing or down with good exemplars to study forms, flow, etc)
I agree with you Ken on perseverance, patience and self critique, those are the greates teacher for us, but guidance allow us to become more concious, it's like getting fresh air or water after a run.
That said you spend very little time with a teacher then you have to go on on your own and keep your own studying.