Author Topic: Day 12 - 2022: FORGET  (Read 517 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Day 12 - 2022: FORGET
« on: October 12, 2022, 12:10:32 AM »
Inspired by those of you sharing longer contributions, I spent most of practice today writing a short letter/note to my Great Nephew. I did not take time to practice the new "F" below, but will likely revisit it later.

Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: Day 12 - 2022: FORGET
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 08:20:14 AM »
Zivio - Very witty take on “forget.”  :)
Yay! Glad to hear you wrote a longer piece, and for someone.

One of the things I try not to forget is that Spencerian is really (originally) about handwriting. And somehow that actually brings me more interest and reward, and even comfort. Since it’s handwriting, it’s personal, and it can be personal for any individual that takes it up. It’s accessible, as it was meant to be as a handwriting system. There is an ideal that we aim for, a very wonderful ideal, but it is a given that the actual results will not all look the same. The forms and our own personal hand are expected to mingle. So it’s like chasing our own personal best.
My humble opinions, and lately I’ve been trying to understand the draw for me that keeps me pursuing it. Besides the fact that it looks nice and I usually find it fun. Plus, I’m an avid writer, so I like to write…  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:26:15 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »
Very clever. I'm likin' it.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »
McCaffery's Penman's Black
Gillott 604ef
Kurrentschrft
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 02:07:42 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 03:10:53 PM »
Zivio - Very witty take on “forget.”  :)

Thank you.  I understand from Flourish Forum that leaving out letters here and there is a distinction of the calligraphic adepts. It is, so far, the one trait I have mastered.

One of the things I try not to forget is that Spencerian is really (originally) about handwriting ... it was meant to be as a handwriting system ... There is an ideal that we aim for ...  So it’s like chasing our own personal best ... Plus, I’m an avid writer, so I like to write…

yes, Yes, YES! To all you've written. I, too, love to write, and it is for that very reason alone I've pursued learning this script. The huge challenge is that I am so used to keyboarding, a much more efficient way to toss off my thoughts, that writing by hand is painfully slow in comparison. I've recently reconciled this by deciding that the handwritten correspondence will be reserved for the simplest, and most earnest of my communications. Let the beautiful (hopefully) script convey the heart of my intentions beyond what words may represent.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
So clever @Zivio - and also with the forget-me-nots, @AnasaziWrites

And Zivio - I've only been married for 22 years, and I haven't learned much, but I have learned that one thing well enough to inscribe it on a card and share the wisdom: It's better to be kind, it's better to be happy, and it's better to be married to my wonderful spouse than it is to be right.

Thank you also to @tiffany.c.a and @Lucie Y for your kind words about my Copperplate and my Steller's Sea Eagle - they say you can see them around the north Pacific - on the coast of Hokkaido, for example.  I'm a pretty confident painter/artist, and very confident about broad-edge calligraphy, but I'm still shy about my Copperplate and its stage of development, so I really appreciate the support.

I caught a break in the middle of a long day today, so I get to post a little earlier (before heading back to the office for round 2).

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 06:24:35 PM »
Hi everyone!

My brain is dead, this is the hard part of the week. So tonight I just practiced letter forms and made a simple word.

My accomplishment for the week is getting a little safe that looks like a dictionary on the outside. It's to store all my nibs so my baby doesn't accidentally grab the pointy stuff, swallow it, stab herself, or poke her eye out. I hear flourishes are done better when under less stress. The other day I grabbed a nikko g nib out of her hand before she could put it in her mouth, I had no idea it had fallen to the floor. I felt horrible for days!

@Zivio I squinted and squinted and then ahhhhh I got it! awesome :D :D
@AnasaziWrites very beautiful! I'm really enjoying the image and calligraphy matches you provide us daily!
@K-2 this elephant is majestic! I love the delicate shading.

See you tomorrow everyone! Although here, it is already October13th ;)
Oh crêpe!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Oh @Zivio  - this gave me such a good chuckle.

@tiffany.c.a - I love what you wrote. My calligraphy and my handwriting are world apart and I wish my calligraphy would seep into my handwriting but alas it is always the reverse.

@AnasaziWrites I wish I could dive into that sea of periwinkle blue! And I LOVE that gorgeous script!

@K2 That elephant is so sweet and gentle looking. And I am seeing a nice delicate hand in your Copperplate

@Lucie Y - LOVE the color and that beautiful O! Also, cool safe!

Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 09:14:12 PM »
@Erica McPhee Yeah ... that "F".   ;D   Lovely, as always, and yet again something to shoot for in my dreams!!

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2022, 01:19:25 AM »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2022, 01:20:21 AM »
Chef’s kiss to that capital O! @InkyFingers   :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2022, 03:40:41 PM »
I like the E.W. Jones particularly--just the right connections.