Author Topic: Day 8 - 2023: Toad  (Read 291 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Day 8 - 2023: Toad
« on: October 08, 2023, 03:37:59 PM »
@Mary_M - that is very kind of you. And I'd be proud to show off the sort of beautiful technique you have with your work. Lovely lines are their own adornment! It's funny you mention it, because that knot-work dog was a huge disappointment to me at the time; it was meant to have more "strands" to differentiate the colors, but I miscalculated, and then got frustrated and gave up. But in retrospect, I now see exactly where it went wrong, and I'll know how to do it better next time - and I guess that's really the whole point of Inktober for me.

@AnasaziWrites - Mike, I wanted to say about your "golden" seal... what do I have to do to get a note from you with a seal from that?

Here is my "Toad"! (back to my comfort zone, after the hot shame of yesterday's more experimental piece - using a poster-nib for the gigantic letters this time). The ink on the capital T and the lettering is the gorgeous Dominant Industry pearlescent in "Autumn Forest" (a high shading, multi-tone, mossy green-yellow-mushroom with a pinky gold shimmer) - which seemed quite topical. However, up here in the North, we're already on the edge of winter, with a freeze warning through tomorrow.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Day 8 - 2023: Toad
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 04:44:28 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - Mike, I wanted to say about your "golden" seal... what do I have to do to get a note from you with a seal from that?
@K-2
You've already done it. A pleasure to send you one in due course, but for now, I'm taking a little break from all discretionary tasks due to unforeseen circumstances.
M.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »
Today I quickly worked on toad and then back to work on a quote I've been asked to write "the hand is the instrument of instruments" by Aristotle (haven't fact checked yet) , for a friend who is a rheumatologist and who wants it for her office.
Oh crÍpe!

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 05:47:09 PM »
Love the toad @K2, you make me want to try to write super big. Thanks for giving the details on the ink, it helps to fill in the details of whzt the picture might not show. Typically the sheen of inks are a nightmare to capture.
Oh crÍpe!

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 11:51:39 AM »
@K-2  - That toad is too cute. Autumn Forest was the perfect ink to use to capture the coloring of a toad. Iíve never tried that ink but I love some shimmer.
@Lucie Y - Very elegant

I had a very ugly writing day. Iím dealing with an ailing kitty and itís hard to think about anything else. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 09:57:33 PM »
@K-2 LOVE the toad! And the colors and how the green melds into the brown. Gorgeous!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »
@Mary_M - that is very kind of you. And I'd be proud to show off the sort of beautiful technique you have with your work. Lovely lines are their own adornment! It's funny you mention it, because that knot-work dog was a huge disappointment to me at the time; it was meant to have more "strands" to differentiate the colors, but I miscalculated, and then got frustrated and gave up. But in retrospect, I now see exactly where it went wrong, and I'll know how to do it better next time - and I guess that's really the whole point of Inktober for me.

Here is my "Toad"! (back to my comfort zone, after the hot shame of yesterday's more experimental piece - using a poster-nib for the gigantic letters this time). The ink on the capital T and the lettering is the gorgeous Dominant Industry pearlescent in "Autumn Forest" (a high shading, multi-tone, mossy green-yellow-mushroom with a pinky gold shimmer) - which seemed quite topical. However, up here in the North, we're already on the edge of winter, with a freeze warning through tomorrow.

Nice work !! @K-2