Author Topic: Which phone for calligraphy pics?  (Read 699 times)

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
Which phone for calligraphy pics?
« on: November 03, 2023, 07:20:12 PM »
Hello everyone!

I was wondering, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, which phones might be the best for taking up close pictures of my calligraphy. I especially enjoy showing the texture and of the ink. I mean, looking at the ink set on beautiful paper is one of the most wonderful feelings, isn't it? That's one of the things I want to share.

I have an old beat up phone that does decent pictures for now, but not close up. Also, it's dying. I'm saving up in order to replace it before it's gone.
I have looked up the best phones for macro photography, and so far I'm finding this:
- Iphone 14 pro and 15 pro
- Samsung Galaxy S23 ultra

These are super expensive, of course, it's a huge investment. Although I might find a second-hand one. And they can take pics up to 2cm from the lens!

But maybe I don't have to go that far. Maybe I don't necessarily need THAT much macro.

So I'm opening this thread to get your experience on camera phones and calligraphy! I'll be sure to add mine when I get there :)

Have a nice day everyone!

P.S. I have also found a thread that mentions apps that can generate macro with AI. It's here: https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2430.msg34127#msg34127

Oh crÍpe!

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Which phone for calligraphy pics?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 10:44:53 PM »
I use an iPhone!  It was terribly expensive!  But, it works great!! 😃. I have an iPhone 11 & it works great!  I have been an iPhone enthusiast for years!  Donít ďfix itĒ if it ainít broke!!

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2023, 08:44:14 PM »
I have the Samsung Galaxy S23 now. It does take very good pictures. I have never had an iphone (because I donít like how it does not integrate with non-apple products). But I must admit my whole family has one and they take fantastic photos.

My last phone was a Google Pixel. 2XL. That camera took the best photos. It was especially good in low light situations. I bought it because all the reviews said it had the best camera of any smart phone and I have to say I agree. Even my two daughters who are die-hard iPhone users would sometimes admit the photos were better from the Pixel than their iPhones. But I did not get another one for my new phone as I donít like how Google spies on absolutely everything. Kind of silly now as they still spy on everything anyway.  ;D

I like my Galaxy but I must say I do not like the perspective ratio of the phone itself. It is tall and narrow. I would prefer it just a bit wider. I have thought of trading it in for the newest pixel but too much hassle. :)

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 08:52:09 PM »
This was taken with the Galaxy S23 phone. Straight out of camera - no adjustments, just cropped. Click on it to see it full size. This was reduced from full size so there may be a small bit of resolution lost.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 02:56:58 AM »
Thank you so much @JanisTX and @Erica McPhee

Janice: I have heard a lot of good things about the recent Phones, but my brother has a reconditioned IPhone 11 and is delighted with the pictures.

Erica: I hadn't at all considered the Google phone, but now I have looked into it and I'm very interested in that one too. I'm also a bit wary about Phones because all my other devices are android and I want my things to be compatible.
That's a lovely cat!!!
Thanks for all the precious info.
Oh crÍpe!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 04:35:16 PM »
to upload to Instagram I use the Istagram app on my Galaxy S8. The Instagtram camera does a great job with considerable
editing capabilities.
To upload to The Flourish Forum I don't use a camera at all, but scan my artwork and convert the image from.pdf to .jpeg on my PC before uploading. In this way my image isn't distorted and looks just as it did when I wrote it. This, of course, only works with still images.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 09:43:22 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 09:26:04 AM »
Telephones are Spies in the pocket.
"iPhone Tagging" is a separate Apple gadget very famous in many Carjacking.It is sold separately. It is well integrated in to  every iPhones .  So if you have a phone spying is un avoidable.
So I don't use a phone for photography. I prefer  using an iPad  and that is what I use basically for Forum photography. You can buy a second hand old iPad like iPad Air 3 which is good for photos and it is versatile and efficient.
If you use any Photoshop programme ii can enhance your photos better. But for macro photography your need good lighting and close up zoom/lens functions of course. For general coping photography I am using  an iPad.
But I think is is useless to invest a latest iPhone for photography. but these are my personal  thoughts.

I am agreed with Erica for her consideration  of privacy against the iPhone policy. It is the worst  ever phone  on Spying. Google  Galaxy S23  is way better and can be set it to minimise the problem.
And also there  is a version called " DE-GOOLED GALEXY PHONES " TO KEEP THE GOOLE AWAY COMPLETELY TO BROWSE tracing free by Google on the internet. We can't avoid the Spy world anyway but we can minimised to a level  not to let them get so attached to every thing.

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 11:35:48 PM »
@Lucie Y  I will be of absolutely no help in answering your question, but if I may digress Ö

Prior to becoming a Flourish Forum member, my only exposure to Spencerian, and ornamental penmanship, and beautiful handwriting was through online images. It had only been through this very forum that I have been exposed to real ink on real paper through the kindness and generosity of the following members:

@jeanwilson
@AnasaziWrites
@InkyFingers
@Erica McPhee and
@Vintage_BE

To each of these dear souls, I am forever grateful for introducing me to the wonder of the real deal, and send my sincere thanks! It is nonpareil ó truly unmatched by digital representations of any resolution! 

That said, computer images have, and continue to expose me and so many of us to so much good work out there, yours included, that continually inspire me. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 11:43:13 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 11:38:00 AM »
to upload to Instagram I use the Istagram app on my Galaxy S8. The Instagtram camera does a great job with considerable
editing capabilities.
To upload to The Flourish Forum I don't use a camera at all, but scan my artwork and convert the image from.pdf to .jpeg on my PC before uploading. In this way my image isn't distorted and looks just as it did when I wrote it. This, of course, only works with still images.
@Ken Fraser
At what resolution (dpi) do you typically scan? Can you not scan directly to .jpeg or .jpg?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 04:32:28 PM »
editing capabilities.
@Ken Fraser
At what resolution (dpi) do you typically scan? Can you not scan directly to .jpeg or .jpg?
As you probably realised, I'm not technically minded. However I'm very happy with the resolution provided by my Canon scanner -but I've no idea what it is. It produces .pdf files which I then convert to .jpeg using Convertio software.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 08:25:40 AM »
Thank you @Cyril Jayant @Ken Fraser and @Zivio for your helpful input. I will be reflecting on all of this.

@Zivio yes nothing is better than ink on paper, and my stuff goes to new owners who can hopefully appreciate the ink (or spill their coffee over it. I like having a souvenir of my work though, with details on the texture and shades, so a good photo can be part of my digital library as a reference for new projects :)
Oh crÍpe!