Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 572 times)

Offline LondonLaura

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: September 19, 2021, 03:16:28 AM »
Dear all

I thought I would say hi properly, having lurked in the shadows for a few weeks now in this wonderful smorgasbord of inspiration and shared passion.

I’m Laura and I live in London, UK. My interest in calligraphy really started with a gift of ink and nibs from my family on my 50th birthday last year (in deepest lockdown). I’ve also been entranced by the work of the Trinidadian scribe, Paul Antonio, who so many of you will no doubt know, based since a young man in the UK (but recently relocated to Portugal). Inspired by the delicacy, creativity and historical accuracy of Paul’s work, I’ve started to teach myself copperplate and haven’t ventured further than that. My friends and family are enjoying my little missives and I’m finding calligraphy a very meditative way to spend my time.

I tend to move from art form to art form but I think calligraphy is here to stay. I also love woodcut printmaking and painting from nature/en plain air and have a huge stash of hand marbled papers from a time when I studied that historical craft quite seriously (I’m lucky that I live very close to the British Library...) and lived and breathed the process.

I’ve already posted elsewhere in this forum how blown away I have been by the exchange pieces I’ve had so far. I had no idea I would be receiving such works of art in the post and I really find it quite moving that complete strangers from across the world pour so much effort and thought into what they do. Am already researching the day of the dead to ensure I up my game for the next exchange!

Thank you in advance for your generosity in sharing your expertise and your enthusiasm here in the forum - and to Erica of course who must spend a lot of time keeping us all in check and things ticking over.

X Laura

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 08:02:08 AM »
So happy to have you on the forum, Laura!! Enjoy every minute.

Offline Clover

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
Welcome, @LondonLaura!

Greetings from Deep in the Heart of Texas.

I'm a relative newbie and found Paul's videos, too.  They just drew me in.  Have you listened to his podcast, "Nibs the Podcast"?  I appreciate how seriously he takes calligraphy. 

I've ventured from hobby to hobby as well.  (I'm not brave enough to call mine "art" just yet.)  Calligraphy is the thing that I've managed to stick with the longest.  I love seeing the different letter forms, and it's very rewarding to watch my own improvement over time.

-Clover

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »
Hi Laura,
It sounds like you have delved into a nice variety of art forms. Happy to hear calligraphy has made it to your radar. It can be a life long pursuit if one desires - a never ending list of hands to develop! Glad to hear you are enjoying the exchanges. We have such a great group of folks who put a lot of time and effort into the exchanges. Makes it all worth while!

Welcome! Happy to have you join us in our little corner of the calligraphy internet.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram