Author Topic: Newbie Calligraphy Milestone. Or, Honoring The Humble Potato  (Read 2348 times)

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
Newbie Calligraphy Milestone. Or, Honoring The Humble Potato
« on: April 02, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
I'm preparing to retire my first potato--my silent, non-chemical nib-cleaner.
Rather a bittersweet moment. I've named this little fellow Toothless. As soon as the weather warms a bit more, I'll bury it outside.

Offline Diane Bennett

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Calligraphy Milestone. Or, Honoring The Humble Potato
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 03:06:54 AM »
@KacyBG

Looks like that potato served you well.  I didn't know you could use them to clean nibs, I might give that a try.

Diane

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:44:06 PM »
Diane, when I first took up calligraphy in December, I searched around for the best way to clean the oils off of new nibs and learned that teachers used to tell their students to suck on the nibs, or to stick the nibs (gently) into a raw potato to clean off the oils. I gave it a try, and it's worked well for me, and it's chem-free and spill-proof. (My klutz factor!) Also, if the ink isn't flowing properly as I write, I touch the nib's point into the potato and this often takes care of the problem. I guess the potato's starch is key. I hope you're having fun! I'm still keeping an eye out for your Queen nib as I scour for calligraphy bargains! :D

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
For a few years now, I have seen potatoes as an option for cleaning nibs.... but honestly, the raw potatoes I find are pretty hard and I would not want to stick a delicate nib into one.   :-\  Am I missing something?

I just use warm water and a tiny amount of dish soap and I've never had trouble.

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 11:42:02 PM »
Kristin, I used dish soap too! But I use so many cleaning solutions at work that I try to avoid them when possible. Alcohol was too hard on my fingernails as well--I'm prone to spilling things. The potato you saw was a slightly older russet, and I'm very careful about jabbing in those nibs, but it works surprisingly well. No bent nibs, and this potato lasted me for several weeks. The bottom of the potato was almost as well-used as the top. I'm sold on it. My problem is that I start naming things, and then I have a difficult time saying goodbye! :'(

I use Gillott 170s and 303s. No problem.

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
@KacyBG , what did you name your potato??

I guess the other side of this for me is that I would feel like I'm wasting food..?  >_>;

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »
Kristin, I felt the same way. I hate wasting food, and I love potatoes. But this was chem-free nib cleaning, and I'm wondering if the potato will grow after I bury it. :) That would be fun. It has three sprouts on the lower side that might leaf out nicely. I jokingly named it Toothless, because the patterning reminded me of dragon scales.

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 02:55:56 AM »
It is not a waste, you have used it well.

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:25 PM »
 RD5, I certainly try! And I'd love to see a few potatoes volunteer in our side gardens later this year! That would be fun--Ol' Toothless, my first potato, providing reinforcements. The thought makes me happy. :D

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 09:50:10 AM »
It sure seems like you have gone through quite a bit of nibs! May I ask how often do you retire your nibs? And what script do you write?

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »
HZW, I'm frugal by nature but I'm trying to toss my nibs, even my beloved faves, when I see daylight between the tines, or when the script's quality fails. Hairlines thicken and the nib drools, spits, or dribbles like a fading, spiteful creature.

Not that I attribute spite or moodiness to nibs.   :) However, I'm bracing myself to throw away a Gillott 170 soon. Last week, it was a Brause Rose. The week before was … I can't bear to think of it.

Offline hzw8813

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
Interesting! I'm just an enthusiast so I try to make them last as long as possible. I have just adjusted myself to using Gillott 303s quite easily, BUT those tines are so so sharp that I get a nib catch multiple times in a day :/ Not great for the nib. I completely understand the word "Spit" haha.

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 04:07:52 PM »
Yep! My current 303 snagged, then spattered ink on the practice page this morning. After the third snag, I was looking for daylight between those tines, and checking the hairlines. Yep. Searching for excuses to pitch that one. It had better mind its Ps and Qs! Hehehehe! Have fun. I consider myself a semi-dabbler too, though I want to master copperplate and then Spencerian. Here's hoping!

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 11:40:37 PM »
I just want to hop in once more and say: @KacyBG I love your positive attitude!  Your posts always "sound" so upbeat.  Thanks for being so pleasant.  :)

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 12:45:18 AM »
Kristin, thank you! Life is so busy, and time is so short--I try to make the most of it by cherishing ordinary moments! I'm a serious introvert, but love and appreciate everyone taking this journey on earth with me. We're all in this together!  8)