Author Topic: Copperplate strokes  (Read 1709 times)

Offline ballet

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Copperplate strokes
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:11:34 PM »
I started practicing what I see on the Pointed Pen Nirvana episode 1d video posted by Erica while
waiting for the arrival of my first oblique pen holder.

Here's what I have:

This is only to get myself familiarised with the order of the strokes. I used a straight pen holder, Mitchell nib, Parker black ink and Rhodia paper.

(1) Is it wiser to keep practicing with the one nib you are most comfortable with instead of switching from one to another at every practice?

(2) Looking at the broad and thin strokes I have in the attached image, what do you think?

(3) For a strong distinction between the broad and thin strokes, I pressed the nib really hard. As such, the strokes are wetter than usual and take a longer time to dry.

(4) As more ink is used now when I make deliberate efforts to press harder at the down strokes, I noticed that the nib has to make very frequent trips to the ink bottle. At some point, it doesn't even make it through one alphabet ( see bottom left). Does this make sense to you? Or are the frequent trips coming from something I didn't do well?

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: Copperplate strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »
(4) As more ink is used now when I make deliberate efforts to press harder at the down strokes, I noticed that the nib has to make very frequent trips to the ink bottle. At some point, it doesn't even make it through one alphabet ( see bottom left). Does this make sense to you? Or are the frequent trips coming from something I didn't do well?
Regarding point 4, this depends on many things.  For me, it depends on the nib, the type of ink and the size of the letters.  So the trick is to practice a bit before you start off on a serious piece of work, then you can gauge approximately when you have to re-dip the nib.  Usually I can go as far as a word, and in some cases, I have to dip every other letter!

Offline Leanda

• body in england, soul in greece
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
Looks like you're doing pretty well and while I'm very much a newbie myself I would say:
1) I would definitely keep going with the nib you feel happiest with until you are completely comfortable with the strokes and then you can start experimenting with other nibs. If you find that you are not getting on too well with your current nib, buy two or three different ones until you find the one you like. This can actually be a bit of a long trial and error process. It has taken me months to find the right nibs!
2) Your thick and thin strokes look good to me. Far less wobbly than my first attempts!
3) Yes, you will find that shades take longer to dry. It also depends on the ink.
4) Again, and to second what Eric said, it entirely depends upon your nib and ink combo, but don't think it unusual to dip your nib in every few letters. If you are nearly getting to the end of a whole alphabet your doing great!
Looks like you are really getting the hang of this and looking forward to seeing what you do. Good luck!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:52:24 PM »
If you can make it to the end of a fully shaded alphabet without dipping, I reckon there are many people here who would very much like to know how you do it!

More seriously, if you're reasonably happy with the nib I'd stick with it for the time being and maybe try a few different ones next time you order.  What I suggest you do think about changing is your ink (presumably it's Quink)?  Maybe it's changed (I made a mental note never to use it again about 30 years ago), but since it's formulated for fountain pens it's unlikely to be ideal.  There are loads of ink recommendations in this sticky.  Higgins Eternal and Moon Palace Sumi are very popular; I'd put in a word for Roberson's Penman Classic Transparent just to be contrary, and walnut ink is a good bet too.

Offline ballet

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
Thank you for all the replies.

@Andy, yeh, you are right. lol. I meant to say a 'letter' instead. Yes, I was referring to Parker Quink. I use it on my Pilot Parallel too because it is cheap. Looks like I need to do some shopping!

Thank you!

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
Quink will be just fine in a Parallel Pen I should think, because they rely on the same sort of capillary action as fountain pens.  A lot of the time that sort of ink will flow off a dip nib rather too enthusiastically.