Author Topic: Inktober 2021  (Read 11004 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Inktober 2021
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2021, 11:54:58 AM »
watch

I've always marveled at the skill of hand engravers. Here is a Breguet watch. Its face is 34 mm, the numeral XII is about 2 mm in height, and the word Breguet is written by hand (engraved) with an x-ht of about 1/64 inch. This tiny engraving is put there as an anti-fraud element (people selling fake copies of the watch would be hard pressed to duplicate this, and is almost invisible to the naked eye, as it is both small and very lightly engraved. Doing this by hand makes each watch a little unique. Below is written (today) "Breguet Watch" with x-ht of 1/10 inch, and below it about the same size as the "Breguet" written on each side of the numeral XII.

(for you long term forum members, you may remember I posted these pictures about 5 years ago in a thread about writing small)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2021, 03:28:58 PM »
At this point I'd like to congratulate us on having made it through the first full week of Inktober!  Well done, fellow Inktoberists!  And hey, it's never too late to start Inktober.  The best part of Inktober is seeing how others interpret the prompts, so the more the merrier.

@AnasaziWrites - I wish I had known about that malt for our anniversary this summer; then again, I also wish I had known about our anniversary this summer.  But we've been married so long that the spouse also forgot the anniversary.  Or as I like to say: Why bother with an anniversary? - I can remember that we're married every day.

What a very precise "Ardbeg" homage - and what a machine that is in the photo!  If you ever get out to Islay, I highly recommend an Ardbeg distillery tour.

As always, your Spencerian "Watch" is superb, and also incredibly tiny.  It's amazing how precise you are with your shading to be able to draw letters at that scale.

Here's a winky uncial watch in return, and a drawing featuring one of the beautiful inks from Krishna: Anokhi.

8. Watch

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2021, 04:06:35 PM »
@K-2
I'm very much enjoying your interpretive drawings. Imaginative and skillfully done.
As I have next to no drawing skill, I'll often use photos to illustrate my words (photography is another of my long term interests).
I was able to attend the Ardbeg Global Meeting on Sep 30, their first ever, but hope someday to take the tour. Perhaps when things settle down some.
'till then, slainte is tainte.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2021, 04:19:43 PM »
Slainte, @AnasaziWrites -- And thank you very much for your kind thoughts.  It's probably clear that I'm more of an illustrator than a calligrapher!  The pace of Inktober gets grueling, and these little monochrome sketches aren't always anyone's best work.

I always admire your work on the Forum!  Your level of accomplishment is quite inspirational.  What a treat to see your lettering variations for Inktober.

9. Pressure

I've been trying to improve my Copperplate calligraphy.  It's such a rigorous form, so it seemed like an appropriate response to "pressure" - which features repeat appearances of r, e, and the dreaded s, thus emphasizing the rigors of the form and exposing the places I need to improve my form.

The drawing, on the other hand, was pure fun.  It's based on a 19th century product ad.  Using Diamine oxblood ink.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2021, 06:04:26 PM »
pressure

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2021, 08:54:32 AM »
I’m on a week’s vacation to FL so I have fallen out. But wanted to say you both are doing remarkable work! Really enjoying seeing these!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2021, 04:58:00 PM »
@Erica McPhee - Happy Vacationing!  I hope you'll rejoin us when you return.

10. Pick

Two different interpretations of "pick" -- a spiky lettering exercise, and a drawing with a double meaning for my pen fancier's club.  One of our founding members has been searching high and low for his perfect blue ink, and finally found it on my ink shelf: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink in Blue Velvet.  So I used the ink to make him a blue ribbon for his first place top pick blue.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2021, 05:10:56 PM »
pick

You might need to be over 50 to recognize this.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
Sour

(in Sanskrit, if you were wondering)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:04:41 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2021, 07:30:35 PM »
Monty, I'll take Door Number 2!  And I WANT that other goat! @AnasaziWrites

11. Sour - another s and r for my copperplate practice (when will I ever start getting good at this hand?)
The drawing is done with Akkerman ink in Van Huysum sapgroen and bleach.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2021, 10:46:20 AM »
Monty, I'll take Door Number 2!  And I WANT that other goat!
You got it.
Did you also catch the reference in the "Crystal" post?

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
stuck

(written in kurrentschrift)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:12:50 PM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2021, 09:14:39 PM »
12. Stuck

Great interpretation, @AnasaziWrites -- I'm really enjoying seeing your interpretations of the prompts!

Yuck. I wasn't careful, and it smeared when I tried to brush something off of it, even though I let it dry for 8 hours.  Oh well.  I'm not doing that one over again.

The drawing uses Akkerman Dou's emerald green & bleach.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 10:47:37 PM »
12. Stuck

Yuck. I wasn't careful, and it smeared when I tried to brush something off of it, even though I let it dry for 8 hours.  Oh well.  I'm not doing that one over again.

Throw caution to the wind. Enjoying yours very much as well.

Any other takers out there? Join the fun.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2021, 11:40:19 AM »
roof