Author Topic: Day 27 - 2023: Beast  (Read 344 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Day 27 - 2023: Beast
« on: October 27, 2023, 01:25:37 PM »
Beast

Louie, aka "The Beast of Stillwood"

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
Re: Day 27 - 2023: Beast
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »
Louie is terrifying! @AnasaziWrites
Lovely colors.
Oh crêpe!

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 05:49:44 PM »
Aaaannd back to micro practicing while waiting for the next part of the course.
And even this isn't micro practice, there's a capital letter and 4 lower case letters for goodness sake!
Maybe the course has helped me loosen up instead of overfocusing/obsessing for hours over single strokes.

P. s. I love the science of learning how to learn, which is why I am sharing this with enthusiasm, but I am afraid I am also very rambly. Hope you don't mind!

Good night!
Oh crêpe!

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 06:29:12 PM »
@AnasaziWrites  Lovely writing.

@Lucie Y  Very nice writing again.

Inktomber 23 - Day 27 Beast in the world of SNOOPY.

SNOOPIE'S MOST FEAR ON MOON DAYS AND HE ALWAYS GETS LUNA- TICKS WHCH turns him to a different beast.
 :-\ ??? ??? ??? ??? :o

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 09:07:16 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - Louie may be a beast, but you can tell that he's a very good boy!
@Cyril Jayant - Snoopy too!

Thank you, @Erica McPhee and @Lucie Y and everyone else for your kind thoughts about me finally getting a presentable R for Remove.

Lucie - your dedication to your art and building your skills is an inspiration to us all! You totally deserve to treat yourself to some beautiful inks!
* The packaging on Ferris Wheel Press products is really spectacular (but you also pay a premium for it). I have several of their inks, but also a couple complaints about the packaging that kind of keeps me from buying more of them - 1. beautiful though it may be, the shape of the bottles makes them very tippy, and I'm always terrified that I'm going to knock them over (38ml is disc-shaped with a narrow base; 20ml or 80ml is spherical with a tiny base); and 2. the mouth of the jar is very very small, which makes it hard to fill a fountain pen from them (and also makes it more likely that I'll tip it over in the process). You can see Nick Stewart complain about this on his blog: https://nickstewart.ink/2023/09/30/the-nebulous-plume-a-ferris-wheel-press-and-esterbrook-collaboration/

If I'm using them with a dip pen, I always decant them into dinky dips, to avoid mishaps, and also to make it easier to stir the ink while I'm using it (the shimmer falls to the bottom of the jar really fast). Of course, then I don't get to interact with the beautiful bottles while I work.

Regarding your question about the consistency of Rohrer & Klingner inks - like most other brands, it really depends on the color. I find the Helianthus to work well straight out of the bottle (the stable, wide-mouthed bottle) without any doctoring, as long as the nib is really clean and I'm using high-quality paper. Solferino (a vivid fuchsia with green-bronze sheen) is a little less predictable. Sepia bleeds a lot, so I use it mostly for painting.

Ferris Wheel inks can be variable in behavior depending on the color too - the Winterberry was a little bit disappointing that way; the Atlas Iron Ore is better behaved straight from the bottle. Both of them are better in a Parallel pen than with a dip pen. I blew through a whole bottle of Winterberry with a 6mm Parallel over the course of an intensive holiday card season - it was beautiful, but the bottle annoyed me so much. So I've moved on to other dark-red & gold inks that are in bottles that are easier to use.

With any new ink, I always make a swatch card to test the chromotography, the behavior with broad edge and pointed pen, and the reaction to bleach. The "Inkvent" threads have examples, if you're curious: https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7549.0

Sorry for the extensive ink rant. I have feelings about ink. For me the sweet spot for style, quality, variety, and novelty right now is with Dominant Industries, Wearingeul (both from South Korea), and also Birmingham Pen Co. (from Pittsburgh, USA).

Here is my Beast!  And only 4 more days to go!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 09:24:51 PM by K-2 »

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 09:13:58 PM »
@K-2
Love that beast. Excellent script.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 07:03:58 AM »
Hi @K2 , I adore that beast and the Fraktur that goes with it! I also really like the texture on the versal. So expressive!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your ink rant with my morning coffee. Yes, I have gone through your Inkvent threads, and I know you have a weakness for shimmery inks  ;D

I bought the Ferris Wheel ink because Oliveleaf calli on IG was using them, and I am very fond of her work. And there was that buy one get one free discount, and it was pretty, and I had a difficult month, and mostly because my inner child was like  :-* (a very cartesian approach).

May I ask: did you put Ferris Wheel shimmery inks directly in your pilot parallel pen? I am worried the glitter might clog and damage the pen.

I'll be sure to check out your recommended inks!

And thank you for your kind words on my calligraphy. I am working hard to become a professional someday. And words like this really cheer me up.

Have a great day!
Oh crêpe!

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2023, 10:58:00 AM »
@AnasaziWrites - love the capture and the beast interpretation! Something tells me Louie is all teeth and no bite.  ;D

@Lucie Y - your dedication is absolutely showing in your work. It’s inspiring!

@Cyril Jayant - I love the energy in these pieces. And the nostalgia. Fabulous!

@K-2 - we are so grateful to you for sharing your expertise with us. There are so many things to pay attention to with any art or craft, it’s a true delight to have someone who takes the deep dive sharing the details. And your beast is - wow!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram