Author Topic: Some Song Lyrics  (Read 2951 times)

Eva Woo

Some Song Lyrics
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Hello everybody! I'm new here and new to calligraphy. It's pretty confusing but there's a lot to learn and I'm very excited about it! I got four nibs and an oblique holder about five days ago (and some ink, haha), but I think that's more than enough for now.

I haven't looked into any tutorials in depth but I will soon - I just wanted to know if people had any general helpful tips for me. I don't think I'm following or doing any specific style, but again things are pretty confusing. :)

I can't wait to try different ink colors one day!

Offline kshort

• Freshman Member
  • Grasshopper
    • View Profile
    • Karen Short Art
Re: Some Song Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:04:22 AM »
Wow! I'm completely new too, and I don't know much about calligraphy at all - but I think this is beautiful, and I love the lyrics. I especially like your "&"s. I can't wait to see what you do with colored inks :)
-Karen

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:26:53 AM »
Hi Eva!  What cute/whimsical lyrics-- I think your lettering suits them very well!

Eva Woo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to look and reply, guys! I really appreciate it.

They're not my lyrics, I forgot to mention that they're from Eisley's "Plenty of Paper"...It's a very whimsical song, I think. :D

Karen - I have a whole practice page filled with failed ampersands. They're hard to make look right so I'm glad you like them (and glad you realized what they were). Yay!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 10:26:45 AM »
Hi Eva!

Welcome and applause for sharing your work! I really like how the bouncy energy of your letters match the words of the song. I'm a sucker for an ampersand and I like yours very much!

My only suggestion would be to watch your descenders on the p's. They are a bit sharp which perhaps contrasts slightly with the bounce, warmth, and flow of your other letters. That is very minor though!

Great work and thanks for sharing!  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Eva Woo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
Hi Erica!

Thank you so much for your helpful comment! When I was writing those p's I couldn't figure out how to end the stroke...I expect I'll learn more about writing letters in your tutorials. :)

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Okay, I have to ask you Eva, is this similar to your regular handwriting? After struggling for months now to simply learn enough to be able to address some wedding invitation envelopes, I can't even come close to what you've produced here. It is lovely. And since you just picked up a pen and haven't done any tutorials, I have to believe you've had it in you all along. There are those who obviously have an innate ability and you certainly are someone who fits this description. I can't even imagine what you'll be doing once you practice!

You're so lucky!!!

Ellen

Eva Woo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
Hi Ellen! I've been told that my handwriting is really neat but it doesn't look like what I've done here. If I tried to write the same letters without a pen I'm sure my handwriting would be all wonky...the thick lines help my calligraphy look better. :P

Thank you so much, but oh my gosh your calligraphy is very lovely too! I looked at your post (with the addresses) and I'm absolutely sure I would have to practice just as much to write that way...You haven't seen my attempts at practicing other styles of writing, it's a mess!

P.S. Have you tried sitting up and using a drafting table or something like that? I've been told that it helps a lot but I don't have the space...so I'm just hunched over my desk when I write, and it stresses my body in weird ways.

Thank you again for your sweet comment! <3

Offline Perfectsettings

• View Profile
    • Perfect Settings
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
LOVE!!
Daisy
Lover of all things beautiful.