Author Topic: Comments, Please!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline sweetchic

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Comments, Please!
« on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
Hi all! New to this forum (love it!)! I would love some feedback on my practice calligraphy. I'm having a hard time with the bottom of my "a"s and "d"s, somehow the bottom left is always too pointy. I can't put my finger on what else looks "off", but it just doesn't quite look good to me. I have a hard time with the hairline upstrokes!

Thanks!

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Comments, Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:48 AM »
This is very nice! Your writing is fun and playful. Spacing is great. A few things did pop out at me though. Your upper loops are consistent, as are your lower loops (except the lower case f’s), but the two themselves differ. Maybe try matching the size of them? Also, the baseline wavers. The letter slant and thick strokes show variation too (the word Carolina exemplifies both of these). I hope this helps!
Star

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »
Hi Sweetchic! Welcome to the forum!  :)

I see some great things happening with your lettering. I like that you date your practice sheet as well. This will be a good reference point for the future.

In terms of the a's and d's problem you mentioned - I would suggest some oval drills. Nothing but practicing that oval form. This will help develop your muscle memory so your hand doesn't hesitate. Do you have an italic hand background? I think I see a tiny bit of italic sneaking into your a's (or it is just your handwriting). Slow down and concentrate on forming each letter with the strokes, rather than writing.

Also, work on squaring off the tops of your d's, t's, and a's.

I would say concentrate on the midline, rather than the baseline. You want the top part of the lowercase letters to really be even at the midline. This is even more important than having them completely even at the baseline because we read the tops of letters first. It might be helpful if you take a pencil and ruler and draw lines on this practice sheet across the midline. You can see in Idaho, Kentucky, Massachusetts, and Nebraska a little more variation of lowercase letter height than you would like for traditional copperplate.

Idaho and Massachusetts are the best examples. Your bottoms line up marvelously! But you can see how the little bit larger o throws off the flow of Idaho. And in Massachusetts the s's and the e are much taller and so make the midline a little bumpy.

I like Starlee's comments - your lower loops are lovely (say that 5 times fast :D). Work on opening up your upper loops just a bit.

I don't want this to discourage you, though, because your lettering is very pleasing. It has a very sweet quality. You have excellent consistency and have done very well maintaining the slant. I'm giving you "advanced" critique because you are ready for it!  :) Your lettering is already very lovely so it's time to start analyzing and fine-tuning.  :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:26:14 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
Welcome Sweetchic- I too love your lettering.
But like you I also had a hard time with bringing up the hairline strokes when connecting the letters and also squaring off. Erica gave me the same advice and once I took it, I was off the the races. My lettering has improved so much. Her advice is gold. Run with it. I swear you'll be better for it. Now I'm laser focused on each letter and I still work on bringing that hairline up. Just yesterday the lowercase t clicked for me. I was looking at other calligraphers t's and realized I needed to bring that hairline up a bit. I did it and I was so happy because it made a huge difference in how it looks. I hope my post makes sense.

Nickki
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline sweetchic

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
Erica and other commenters, I can't tell you HOW MUCH I appreciate your feedback and tips!!

Erica, I would have never thought to focus on the midline, that is making a big difference already. I will post an updated version of the same words sometime soon, thanks again!! :)