Author Topic: John Neal, Bookseller  (Read 9960 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
John Neal, Bookseller
« on: October 27, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
I'll never forget the day Margaret DiPiazza sent me a copy of John Neal Bookseller's catalog. I thought I had died and gone to heaven! All those calligraphy supplies and books in one place! And it has only improved year after year!

John Neal Bookseller: johnnealbooks.com.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:58:35 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Maurelle

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • www.hellomaurelle.com
Re: John Neal, Bookseller
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
It's my first time to purchase from JNB, does it really takes a while before shipping stuff? I ordered items last November 10 and until now it's still on it's way ( US to US) How can you compare the service with PaperInk Arts?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »
Wow ... that seems *really* long. I have ordered things from them and they have arrived within the week. I suggest sending them a message to check on it and make sure your order went through OK.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Maurelle

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • www.hellomaurelle.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:18:45 AM »
Wow ... that seems *really* long. I have ordered things from them and they have arrived within the week. I suggest sending them a message to check on it and make sure your order went through OK.

Thanks Erica. My packaged arrived November 22. I will try to order at PaperInkArts to compare the service :)

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
It's my first time to purchase from JNB, does it really takes a while before shipping stuff? I ordered items last November 10 and until now it's still on it's way ( US to US) How can you compare the service with PaperInk Arts?

This happened to me with my first order! Send them an e-mail to check up. There had been a problem with one of the nibs I ordered, so they held the entire order but didn't notify me. I eventually got everything, and the next time I ordered it was much faster!
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »
I've had a couple of phone calls from them when they had a question about my order. - Super helpful & informative!  The only reason that I order from PIA more than I do at John Neal is shipping costs. - PIA tends to be less than half the shipping cost!  And, PIA seems to ship quicker.  I've noticed that their prices are generally right in line & I wonder if they online "stalk" one another for price comparison?  At any rate, I'm grateful that they both exist!!

Offline MomofFour

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
I have to say, I'm so impressed with how quickly my Christmas order came! Customer service is so amazing and quick and while PIA said they were 72 business hours before shipping and last week my order shipped the same or next day and arrived a day early! As long as John Neal has what I'm looking for, they are definitely my go-to for calligraphy supplies!
Homeschooling Mom of Four, hoping and praying to become good at calligraphy!
https://instagram.com/4blessingsfromgod/

Offline lizabetht

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »
I ordered some things from Paper Ink Arts in December, during their sale, and it did take a little longer than the 5 - 7 business days flat rate shipping.  But, they may not have my phone number and they may've tried to call with an issue.  Also, it was a sale and it was Christmastime.  But, the shipping was only $7.99. 

Before this, I had a problem with my hourglass oblique pen from Paper Ink Arts and someone actually answered the phone and spoke to me, said they could send me a new screw for the pen.  The next time I ordered, I referenced this conversation I had with Josh and the new brass screw came in my order - free.   I was just beginning to practice calligraphy seriously and was encountering the problems that lots of beginners have.  It was incredible to call and talk to a person - I thought I'd traveled back in time.   ;D   It must be difficult for them to offer that kind of personal service and remain profitable.

I have ordered things from JNB and they were fine.  I've not had an occasion to try to call them so I don't really know about their customer service.

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Have never had any problem with JNB.  Always thorough, timely, and their variety of products seems more extensive.  I can actually say I love them.  ;D

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
It has been a while since I posted my endorsement of John Neal and his splendid contribution to the community so this is for the new members.

While Paper and Ink Arts has always been a good company - even through the changing of ownership - John goes above and beyond the selling of art supplies. John and PIA both show up at the international calligraphy conferences, John with books and PIA with supplies. They take turns being the vendor at IAMPETH.

But it is important to know that John publishes Letter Arts Review, Bound & Lettered, and books like Sheila Waters' Foundations of Calligraphy and John Stevens' Scribe: Artist of the Written Word - just to name a few items that are spectacular contributions to the lettering community. I'm sure that John would never want to run any or all of his competitors out of business. But, IMHO, he deserves recognition and support because of his contributions....and if you have never done business with John - hopefully you will consider sending a few orders his way. His customer service is top-notch.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 07:21:08 AM »
@jeanwilson I couldn't agree more!  They have wonderful supplies & are very reliable!  They are also very innovative, including acquiring the new nibs with "ink cages" that last so much longer per "dip"!  I eagerly await every catalog & dog ear almost all of the pointed pen pages!  We are so lucky to have John Neal Bookseller!

Janis

Offline CraigRuhl

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Faith On Every Corner
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
As a newcomer to the lettering and calligraphy community, I have needed to rely on many sources for tools, knowledge, hand-holding, and general support. John Neal Bookseller has been of tremendous help. They are a exceptional at what they do. I have also patronized Paper, Ink, Arts, the Paper Seahorse, and The Postman's Knock and value each of them highly. JNB is about 2 hours drive from me, but so far I have resisted going there in person. That may change soon.
Craig Ruhl
A novice penman, seasoned writer, voracious reader, and all-around nice guy. I am a lifetime collector and user of fountain pens.