Author Topic: lettering on macarons  (Read 4571 times)

Offline jackiepricessi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
lettering on macarons
« on: April 22, 2016, 01:43:34 PM »
Hey ya'll.. it seems that I am always getting requested to letter on more than just paper these days.. Anyone ever letter on macarons? I am guessing there are food markers out there, but i have no idea which ones are preferred.. and then how would you recommend charging for that? does the client provide the macaron or me? i am guessing it would need to be done very close to the event.. I was thinking about charging $2 per macaron.. how does this seem? thanks.. can't wait to see what other nontraditional items ya'll have lettered...

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: lettering on macarons
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
Hi Jackie! I did macarons very recently :) I had the client provide them the day I was to work on them and pick them up very early the next morning (the wedding was the following day).

I wrote up a bunch of detail in my blog about it - can't go hunting for the link at the moment, but it should only be a few posts down the page :)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 01:17:23 PM »
I wrote up a bunch of detail in my blog about it - can't go hunting for the link at the moment, but it should only be a few posts down the page :)
For those who don't like hunting  :P
https://calligraphybymoya.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/how-to-calligraphy-on-macarons/

BTW Moya, awesome work on those macarons!  Lovely brush work!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 07:12:53 PM »
Haha thank you Eric! I am sneakily accessing Flourish at work so it's a bit tricky to go digging.

I have plans to do better next time - I think the lettering is definitely substandard. But the important thing is that the bride was thrilled. :)

Offline NikkiB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
Great Article Moya! An interesting read and lovely pics! Interestingly you are mixing calligraphy with rubber gloves which is another hot topic right now  ;D
Nikki x

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »
I have plans to do better next time - I think the lettering is definitely substandard. But the important thing is that the bride was thrilled. :)
I am curious to know how you think you should improve the lettering.  This sort of brushwork seems to me like a very daunting task already with zero chance of fixing any errors!! (besides, of course, scrapping the macaron and eating it as a collateral  :D )

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »
Beautiful and very creative work, Moya! And some very good recommendations. Interesting about the food-grade ink. I never would have thought the ink would work so well on such a porous surface, but live and learn!

Love your site, by the way.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »
Lovely work, Moya!!

For those who don't like hunting  :P
https://calligraphybymoya.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/how-to-calligraphy-on-macarons/

Thanks for hunting and posting the link, Eric!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:24:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, my friends!

Interestingly you are mixing calligraphy with rubber gloves which is another hot topic right now  ;D

Haha and I even commented in that thread saying I'd never ever use rubber gloves! What a liar I am. Okay, I'd never use rubber gloves, EXCEPT when working on food for someone else that I have no intention of touching with my bare hands ... :D)

I am curious to know how you think you should improve the lettering.  This sort of brushwork seems to me like a very daunting task already with zero chance of fixing any errors!! (besides, of course, scrapping the macaron and eating it as a collateral  :D )

Mmmmmm... the hardest part was not eating any of them. I don't think the bride would even have minded, but it just seemed unprofessional to eat my mistakes ... I gave the screwups back to her along with the completed ones. :D I think I need to practice brushwork on a rounded surface; that would have helped! There was definitely no fixing of any mistakes - I just abandoned them and moved on.

Offline dancingfish

• View Profile
    • dancingfish
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:55 AM »
Wow, those are so awesome!!  Both gorgeous and yummy looking...   ;D  I love macarons...especially salted caramel..

Super impressed with how you pulled it off, too!  Not your everyday calligraphy challenge.

Offline jackiepricessi

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »
moya.. you are a rockstar!  thanks for the tips.. you are so right in that the food pens were useless.. I did purchase some gold food glitter but am having trouble with it showing up.. still lots to learn, but I am hopeful that there is a solution..thanks!