Author Topic: Vintage nib prices on ebay  (Read 59919 times)

Offline Michellie

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage nib prices on ebay
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:20 PM »
it is just too off to be a coincidence.
Michellie

Ig: @chelliesz

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 07:25:26 AM »
Sometimes a seller will have more than one of something, like a box of nibs, or a lot of individual nibs. Especially if something is in a lot of some round number, I'll ask the seller how many they have. This at least gives a reason why they can offer you a "second chance" to purchase the same thing. Unless you think the nibs will go for more than you offered the last time, you can always come back with a lower price than your last bid.

Now, I often purchase nibs that don't generate a lot of interest, so it may not work for popular nibs, but sometimes I've been successful if I see a "lot" of nibs being offered of asking the seller how many they have then offering a price for all of them. I've gotten some good deals this way.

That's how I recently got 50 Spencerian 230's, a very flexible spear nib with turned up tip, in stainless steel, for $20 with free shipping. I had bought a lot of 20 for $10, got them and realized how very nice they were, so I went back to the seller and asked if she had any more. She posted a "buy now" with the last 50 she had and I snatched them up. 

Sometimes the listing will indicate how many of the offered item they have for sale, but not always.

Other recent prices that may be of interest that I've seen

50 Spencerian #1: $157
I won't mention the almost full box of Spencerian 1's that I was watching recently to see how high they went, and didn't bother bidding, and someone "stole" them for $22. That taught me to at least put in a bid. It haunts me still.

Turner and Harrison 103, Extra Fine - $0.76

Most of my purchases y'all probably are not really interested in, like
J.L. Hammett "Kendall" nibs, $0.23 each
Standard Railroad (made by Esterbrook as a flexible Falcon and sold only through Sears) #2: $0.69 (extremely rare)
Frances Pratt & Sons - Gladiator Series 453 and 455: $0.30 each
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 06:21:51 PM »
I'm always so impressed that you guys have learned to ebay properly.  I just ... don't, usually. I got lucky last year and found 100 vintage Gillott 303s for $1 AUD each - the seller was the daughter of a local calligrapher who had passed, and she did not offer shipping outside Australia - or I'm sure you would have all beaten me to it!

But mostly I just buy new nibs. I try to convince myself that if I have the skill, I'll be able to work with substandard tools anyway ... of course, "if" I have the skill is a big "if!"

In my defense, timezones make it very difficult for me to win bidding wars in the US or UK - and shipping can be $25+ for a single nib!  I'm very lucky in many ways to be Australian, but calligraphywise, nooot so much.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »
It is difficult when you're not on one of the crowded continents. :)

But I have seen a seller in Australia who usually sells individual nibs. Their prices are a bit high, but you might be able to bring that down a bit by offering to buy in bulk, and since shipping is much less in-country, that should help as well.

So, I know there are sources there, but I'm sure it's much more difficult than here. I'm fully aware of how lucky we are. It seems that every minor town in the US had it's own stationer who branded their own line of pens. Some are trash, but some are treasures. What we don't have that much of, are the vintage European nibs. Unless someone here imported their line from a European manufacturer, almost all the nibs you find here are American, though Gillott did export a tremendous number of their nibs here, they eventually got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of American nibs.

Good luck!

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 10:25:16 PM »
Yes, but the beauty of most of the European nibs not making much headway over there is that there are some excellent European nibs available at a fraction of the price of their American equivalents because no one knows about them.  Of course, finding which ones they are is easier said than done, as there is so little information out there! 
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Entropy

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:49 AM »
For what it's worth Moya, if you haven't checked out my shop in the nib boutique section I've got a ton of different nibs up for sale at what I believe are very reasonable prices and I'd be perfectly willing to ship to AUS without using the crazy expensive shipping methods. Hell, I'd even be down to send you a couple in exchange for an exemplar from you or something just to see what someone who was far more skilled than my current self could accomplish with them. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 04:55:37 PM »
That is super kind of you!  I actually have some of the 'dream nibs' - some people have been incredibly kind (they know who they are!).  And I haven't had the courage to test them yet. I still think I'm just not quite on a level where I can do that kind of work.  So I don't really need any more nibs ...

But I'd totally be happy to send you a card anyway!  I think you'll find I've got a lot to learn as well ;)  PM me your address!

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »
I'm always so impressed that you guys have learned to ebay properly.  I just ... don't, usually. I got lucky last year and found 100 vintage Gillott 303s for $1 AUD each - the seller was the daughter of a local calligrapher who had passed, and she did not offer shipping outside Australia - or I'm sure you would have all beaten me to it!

But mostly I just buy new nibs. I try to convince myself that if I have the skill, I'll be able to work with substandard tools anyway ... of course, "if" I have the skill is a big "if!"

In my defense, timezones make it very difficult for me to win bidding wars in the US or UK - and shipping can be $25+ for a single nib!  I'm very lucky in many ways to be Australian, but calligraphywise, nooot so much.
Do check out  Nik's nibs here on the forum. He has a great selection, and prices are good
The Australian nib seller Nik mentions is Kirk Winter (wintersodafeld on eBay)--he's a nice guy that could also help you if you are looking for something specific. I'll pm you his email if you want to get in touch.
Regards shipping--up to about 20 nibs can securely be sent in an envelope with cardboard--I've sent some all over the place--for one international stamp (US$1.20), Up to about 50 for two stamps. If you want a box, then that's what gets expensive.
If you are looking for something Nik and Kirk don't have, pm me, maybe I can help.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 03:15:53 PM »
Guess I should record it. Just sold five Gillott Principalities for $76 plus shipping.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 05:26:51 PM »
Ok, people. Let's get a grip. A box of 80 Esterbrook 956's were just sold on the Bay for over $200. The seller said that these were the radio version of the 128. They're not. They're the radio version of the 556. Now the 556 is a great all-around nib. One of my favorites. BUT they are not worth that crazy price!  Hope it was none of you.  :-[

Before bidding something crazy on the Bay for an Esterbrook nib, always check The Esterbrook Project. http://theesterbrookproject.com/NIB%20SHEETS/ESTERBROOK%20956%20RADIO%20PEN/ESTERBROOK%20956%20RADIO%20PEN.html

Ok, sorry for the harangue. Just hate to see that much craziness. I'm better now. Glass of wine anyone?

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
Well, there are a bunch of Zanerians, Spencerian #1s, 604EFs and 128s on there now that have some interesting bidding going on.   I think the box of Zanerians is currently sitting just shy of $900.

And another box of Gillott 404s went for about $140 yesterday.  Considering that new 404s go for about the same price per gross perhaps I should have thrown in a late bid.  However, I get a bit uneasy buying so many nibs when I am such a beginner.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 07:19:05 PM »
Ok, people. Let's get a grip. A box of 80 Esterbrook 956's were just sold on the Bay for over $200. The seller said that these were the radio version of the 128. They're not. They're the radio version of the 556.

I might be betraying my ignorance here ... what is a "radio version" of a nib?

Glass of wine anyone?

Always!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
Sorry. Esterbrook made a series of nibs labeled "Radio" and with a 9xx number. It just indicates that it had a special finish to prevent corrosion. The Radio finish nibs are more silver-colored. The 9xx numbers are just other numbers but with the special finish. Usually the last two numbers give you a clue. The 956 is based on the 556. 988 is a 788 nib with special finish. A 948 is the 048 Falcon with the finish. And so on.

The Radio nibs are generally pretty good quality.

Check out http://theesterbrookproject.com/SITE%20DOCS/NIBS%20900%20TO%20999.html

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:29 PM »
I looked out there and saw the Zanerian 3 where they are asking $28. Man. I'll sell you ten of them for $150 and count myself lucky. They are really nice pens, but I wouldn't rank them with a Principality.

Hope "penstaff" isn't any one of you. Maybe I should ask $200 and still undercut the price. If any of you can get $28 a nib, I'll seriously sell you ten for $150 and you can keep the profit.

As they say in the antiques biz, it ain't what you're asking, it's what you're getting that counts.