Author Topic: light box recommendations  (Read 3663 times)

Offline nicky

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
light box recommendations
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:47:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm considering buying/making a light box but I've no idea where to start. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do you own one you love/loath? Or perhaps some handy tips on making a DIY light box?!

Thank you in advance!

Nicky

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: light box recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:17 AM »
Artograph or wafer lightboxes, for sure!!! http://www.paperinkarts.com/lightpads-easels.html

I have other cheaper lightboxes.. thicker and more bulky, but OMG those are a major pain in the butt to store and set up. The thinner Artographs is a little more expensive but sooo worth it. Highly recommended!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Terasleen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »
apologies wrong catagory
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:19:45 AM by Terasleen »

Offline Susan C

• View Profile
    • Susan M. Carter Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
Nicky- check out this thread as well:  http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4582.msg58650#msg58650

To this, I'll add that I think it's REALLY important to get as think of a lightpad as possible if you're using it for calligraphy, since raising your arm much higher than the desk is problematic, especially while using arm movement.  I have the lightpad from Paper & Ink Arts, which is linked in the thread I posted above.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
I think Bianca mean THIN.
I have both a light BOX and a light PAD. 

The BOX is about 2-1/2 inches thick, and requires me to rest my elbow on a pile of books, so that it isn't floating in the air.  I retired the light box as soon as I got the light pad.

The PAD is much more comfortable to use, as it is about 3/8 inch thick. 
This is the one that I have.  My wife got it a FLAX art and design in San Mateo.
https://daylightcompany.com/wafer-1-lightbox-daylight-35040.html
The light level is adjustable, so I can adjust it for different papers; not too bright, not too dark, just right.

IMHO, making a light pad is difficult, because of the thinness.  A box is comparatively easy, because you have the thickness to easily install lamps inside.  If you are thinking of a box, I would consider building one into your work table.  Glass or plexi desk surface with the lamp underneath.   That way the thickness of a box would not affect you. 
Gary

Offline Naomi Bong A Jan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »
I use the Huion A3 led light pad and love it so far.

Easy and comfortable to use, you can adjust the brightness, it's not too big nor too small and pretty affordable too.
I believe the US brandname is Monoprice.

Good luck with your search! :)

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »
I picked up a Huion A4 and I love it. I opted to go for the plug in model rather than the usb model, because it is brighter.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline clvargas

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:45:05 PM »
I have the Huion L4S (got it from amazon) which has a USB cord that can either plug into an outlet, or can be used with a portable battery pack.  It's plenty bright, and I find I often dim the light a bit.  When used with a portable battery charger thing, the dimmed light is not stable (it flickers), and I have to use it at full brightness.  I love my light pad! highly recommend!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
Thanks @garyn - I did mean THIN, not THINK (which apparently I didn't do much of while typing). You and I have the same lightpad, and I MUCH prefer it to a lightbox!  I think the lighting on this one is also intended to be less harsh on your eyes, and it has proven to be very pleasant to work with.  It's been well worth the extra expense over a Huion (mine broke far too soon).

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 12:54:58 AM »
Bianca, My fingers go on automatic sometimes, and I wonder about it when I go back to proof what I typed.  Usually my mind get way ahead of my fingers and my fingers then start to type strange things; like "work" instead of "word."  My worst is "teh" instead of "the," when my left and right hands get out of sync, which happens way too often.  And I HATE auto-correct, cuz many times it will change a word I typed, to a completely different word.

I am glad my wife got the light pad for me, cuz I would not have spent the $$$ for it.  I'm CHEAP.
But man, it is sooo much easier to set up and use than my light box.  And the adjustable light level  :-)
Gary

Offline nicky

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 10:03:32 PM »
thank you @garyn @Bianca M @clvargas @darrin1200 @Naomi Bong A Jan @Susan C @schin

This is all such helpful advice - what a wonderful community!

After some research I've decided to go for Daylight Wafer - I'm hoping that I might find one today in a Black Friday online sale somewhere. I've been hand drawing guidelines for a while now and I'm really over it although, to be honest, it has been a great way of learning all about scale.

Thanks again!!

Nicky

Offline MamieV

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 02:41:35 AM »
Hi Nicky,

I have both Artograph light pad and Light box wafer thin.  Light box is a bit less expensive, lighting is adjustable and very lightweight.  Also flatter than the Artograph light pad.  Love the Artograph also, a bit brighter, and heavier.  Both are good recommendations.