Author Topic: Finally trying to learn copperplate...  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Inkysloth

• View Profile
Finally trying to learn copperplate...
« on: July 27, 2017, 08:14:40 AM »
Hi all!

I've not been drawn towards learning pointed pen calligraphy up until recently, but I've been prompted to actually try to learn, so I'm starting with an English Roundhand - I'm using these as my exemplars: https://blog.typekit.com/alternate/a-history-english-round-hand-and-the-universal-penman/

I have a way to go yet, but this is my third day of focussed practice, and I'm starting to believe I might be able to get there at some point! I'm looking to be able to execute a neat, graceful style - it doesn't need to be flourished or overly formal, elegance and grace is what I'm hoping to learn.

Roundhand practice by Robin Inkysloth, on Flickr

Any critique & recommendations would be gladly received.

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Finally trying to learn copperplate...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
I'm not familiar enough with this script to critique it, but I love the passage you selected for your practice!
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
@Inkysloth That is impressive for 3 days of work! It appears that you have been focusing on the image titled INTRODUCTION.

Besides the usual drills and breaking letters into common shapes: stems, ovals, & over/under-turns, I think the thing that will improve you writing most drastically is taking a look at you proportions. I think it will help may your writing look more rhythmic. Viewing the Introduction image it looks like ts are 2x, but k, d, l are only 2.5 x not 3x. I'm just eyeballing it though, so grab your ruler and double check me! What do you think?

Offline Sue W

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:04 PM »
This piece looks beautiful! As a fairly new calligrapher I’d like to know how you cope with line spacing using guide lines.  That is, writing a paragraph, would you need to alter the spacing for the following line.  Hope you get my drift ! 🤔
Sue W

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
Inkysloth,

You've made an excellent start. If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you get a copy of The Universal Penman by George Bickham. It's inexpensive and invaluable for anyone studying this most elegant of scripts.

Fellow member Salman recently started an online survey of this script which is worth studying. It's freely available on this site.