Author Topic: “Likes”, 90 years ago  (Read 187 times)

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
“Likes”, 90 years ago
« on: April 08, 2024, 02:58:22 PM »
Here is another piece of French historical penmanship.  Before WW II, cycling was the most popular sport in France (and in many other European countries). The Tour de France was the crucial event of the year and any French rider who succeeded in winning the Tour become immortal during his life already. One such hero was Antonin Magne, who grew up in a modest farmers’ family in the Cantal region. He won the Tour twice (1932 and 1934) and also took the world champion’s title in 1936. His successes were, of course, extensively covered in newspapers and magazines. Naturally this was long before internet; his numerous fans could “like” him only by showing up at the races or by … writing to him.  In 1936, after his world title, the magazine l’Auto (owner of the Tour de France) called on its readers to send Magne a letter with congratulations (the magazine provided a text that could be copied). Enclosed is one of the letters that were received, this one came from a high school in Orange.  What penmanship. Could you imagine a high school producing such a letter today?

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
Re: “Likes”, 90 years ago
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 08:33:20 AM »
@Vintage_BE  Thank you.
This is such an  historic document together to talk about penmanship and the history of "Tour  De France'    I like how  this story  brings us back in the time machine to this particular time .  I love tour de France. It was my favourite sport and as a photographer,  I was fortunate enough to Live in France -Paris and had the opportunity to document it for many years. I have many souvenirs de la Tour !!!! :D. . During the Month of May to July I miss France a lot as I am not able to see the "Tour"  anymore.  :(
I love here this story as on of the best  historic sport events  in this documentary  writing  in a penmanship to talk about two things. The honouring a hero by the enthusiastic penmanship at the time.
Thank you for sharing this.     
« Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 08:36:23 AM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: “Likes”, 90 years ago
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 03:56:50 PM »
That is so cool.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?