Author Topic: We have a New Superhero - Jean Wilson!  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
We have a New Superhero - Jean Wilson!
« on: February 18, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
Somehow this slipped by me and @jeanwilson Jean is now on her 1,001 post! Congratulations Jean and more importantly, thank you for all of your contributions to Flourish! You are a wealth of knowledge and we have been very blessed to have you share that with us! Thank you!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: We have a New Superhero - Jean Wilson!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2021, 07:31:47 AM »
Thanks, Erica.
I stop in every morning while I am drinking my coffee.
Thank you for all the work it takes to keep the forum going.

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 08:28:51 AM »
It is no surprise Jean is a Superhero, I assumed she already was one!

Jean, you've provided such thoughtful responses to so many people over the years, you've made an enormous positive impact on our community. Thank you so much!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 07:15:07 AM »
It has been my pleasure to be an *old timer* on the forum -
everything I share was learned directly from kind and generous scribes who were ahead of me on the learning curve.
That's the part about this community that has meant the most to me.

When the rumors that *cursive is dead* start flying - I know in my heart that it will never die.
There will always be people who are curious and eager to try their *hand.*

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:20:38 AM »
Congrats Jean! I think you have always been one, maybe not in numbers, but surely in helping everyone with your wisdom and experience. It's great to read you!! Keep going!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »
I’m surprised that Jean is only now at super hero status!  There are very few who are more knowledgeable or helpful here at the Forum!  She’s always been a Super Hero to me!!

JANIS

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 06:18:14 PM »
I'm sorry this image is something of a fail, @jeanwilson -- I was trying out a new ink, and thought I'd take the opportunity to pen you a congratulations. (different scripts, different size nibs, etc)  But there was some blobbing (as I'm trying to get that gum arabic ratio right), and then I brushed away some eraser crumbs, but I had a drop of water clinging to my hand, so everything smeared.  And then I didn't have time to try again.

Anyway: Congrats from the Northland to a true calligraphy superhero!
And hoping that all our friends in the South have weathered this terrible weather alright.
--yours, K

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:52:58 PM »
Alba, Janis and K:
Thanks so much for the kinds words.
It's wonderful to be part of this community.

Thank you K-2 for sharing your practice - even with the *oops*
I just checked your profile to see how far north you were - and see that you are in Duluth. I actually lived in Duluth for 9 months.
I still check the real estate listings on Park Point and along London Road once in a while.
Des Moines is not nearly as pretty as Duluth - but we maintain some balance with 4 seasons - each one for 3 months.

Offline Trazo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
Thanks for your constant support and congratulations!

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 06:06:08 PM »
I’m surprised that Jean is only now at super hero status!  There are very few who are more knowledgeable or helpful here at the Forum!  She’s always been a Super Hero to me!!

JANIS

I had the same thought!  Thanks for sharing so much of your incredible knowledge and advice, Jean.  Your depth of knowledge and your practical, thoughtful approaches to the questions asked here are invaluable. 

Offline Sally Ellington

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
I always love reading your posts, Jean. Thank you for sharing so much helpful information.

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 06:45:08 PM »
What wonderful news, Jean.  As one who was hoping to be your protoge I can not thank you enough for the time that you invested in me.  I will never forget the kindness you displayed.

One day I look forward to sending you something that will make you proud of me and smile.

Asante sana,

L
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:26:16 AM by lyric »
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 06:34:43 AM »
Lyric has sent me an actual handwritten letter that made me smile and I am really proud of her -- already --
She has a very discerning eye - and that's helpful. Actually it is essential.
I also had her send me some practice page images so I could help her find a method to revise her current penmanship.

To be honest -- it was not a quick and easy fix. However, she stuck with it and she 100% validated everything that I have learned from teaching for 25+ years.

There is NO SINGLE METHOD that works for everyone.

It rankles me when people design a new method, or they push one of the old traditional methods - and insist that *This one works.*
Well, yes, it worked for them. But that does not mean it will work for everyone.
You need to have the perseverance of Lyric to actually get over the hump.
You need some kind of crazy determination to push yourself even when it's not looking like you are making any progress.

For the seekers -- PLEASE do not assume that you are going to find one method that will work for you. I lost count of how many different methods Lyrica nd I tried before she finally got over the hump. But, it was a lot.

Here comes the part that I have written numerous times before - but it is essential for people to understand.
If you want to improve your penmanship - you have to unlearn all your bad habits - and if you have been building those bad habits for several decades - it's not going to be easy to unlearn them. This is why each person has a very personal path. They have to analyze what the quirks are and figure out how to morph them into something more pleasing to their eye. This is the essential part of the process that is missing from every single method that teaches penmanship. They all assume they are starting with a blank slate. The only blank slates are people who have never had a single lesson in cursive. If you learned cursive - you have a very strong imprint that you have to deal with.

Lyric is one of my rock star students.
And I am not just saying that.