Author Topic: Embossing, Debossing and Thread Embossing  (Read 3292 times)

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
Embossing, Debossing and Thread Embossing
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:03:21 PM »
What are the views on Embossing? Debossing? Has there been a recent thread on either of these topics? I hve developed a newer trend which I call "Thread Embossing". If anyone is interested I'll explain the procedure.
penstaff
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:28:22 AM by penstaff »

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Embossing, Debossing and Thread Embossing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:31:31 AM »
I would definitely be interested! Maybe you could post some examples? That would be great!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:07:29 AM »
Me too!

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
O.K., here goes. First you have to make a template for flat embossing from bristol board or manilla folder. Trace the item (flower, word, name, or whatever) - not too complicated to begin with. Carefully cut out the design with a sharp Exacto knife, and refine with emery board-you want a smooth cut on the template. Stick this template onto 2" to 4" shipping tape after cutting out the template and counter of the o's, a's etc. Dust the entire template with baby powder or such - the tape is very tacky. Place the paper on top of the template (flat embossing), fasten it down to the paper with scotch tape or removeable transparent tape, then with a burnishing tool go around the entire template and any internal cut outs. Using a light box makes this much handier. Remove the template. You now have an embossed piece for your artwork, to give away, or etc. Use paper that is not too thick to see through,or too flimsy that the burnishing tool will cut through the paper. Debossing is where the template is on top of the paper with indentions downward.
Now Thread Embossing: a bit of history first: I wanted to emboss Blackletter, but couldn't cut the curlicues thin enough, thence came Thread Embossing. Bassically the same preceedure except instead of tracing the design you lay down thread coping the design you want-thread being not the kind you use for sewing, but more of a button-hole weight thread which is heavier. When you have laid down the thread be sure you emboss both sides of the thread. You will be surprised what develops and you can refine as you wish. The thread may have to be cut at some point (s) so use the sharp Exacto again. If you want further explanations let me know.---penstaff

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
ingenious using thread for fine hairlines! I'll have to try that someday!

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
The art of embossing is deadly infectious. contagious and habit forming!
penstaff

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 04:49:31 PM »

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:54:02 PM »

Below is an example of embossing using the procedures whether flat or thread embossing - they are both the same. Make sure the sticky side of your tape is on top of your design. When finished I usually dusted all of the sticky side with baby powder. Be sure to cut off any thread remaining that is not ised in the design. Another caution: if you pull on the thread it will ALL unravel and your design will be gone…like a knitted sweater.
penstaff
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:32:42 AM by penstaff »

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 05:40:41 AM »
Wow, that sounds really complicated.  I'd have to see it done to be sure I got it right. 
Debbie

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »
Reply to Debbie: It's not nearly as difficult as I make it sound: Trace or create your design on a manilla folder weight card stock, cut it out carefully leaving a border around it, and smooth all edges-I use an emery board, tape it to your light box, place (tape) your paper over the design and using a burnishing ball tool carefully emboss around and into all area and spaces - there you have it. The cover sheet must not move while burnishing. If you need further information let me know, Debbie.
penstaff