Author Topic: Your Instagrams  (Read 126837 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Re: Your Instagrams
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Thank you all for your advice.

As a complete novice, I don't understand what is meant by "importing the video from your IPod's camera roll"

I do have MP4 video clips on my computer hard drive. Can they be edited to 15sec length, converted with "Squaready for video and somehow uploaded to instagram?

I'm not a fan of speeded-up video and would rather see shorter videos in real time.

Sorry for this rather garbled post!  :-\

Ken

Offline IowaPharm2014

• Freshman Member
  • Iowa Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2015, 06:35:48 PM »
I'm not familiar with that particular app, but importing from your camera roll is what you do when you add a photo from inside the Instagram app that you'd taken previously (i.e. not taken with the Instagram app itself, but chosen from your existing photos).

I hope that clears up some of the confusion I created.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2015, 05:05:04 AM »
Thank you all for your advice.

As a complete novice, I don't understand what is meant by "importing the video from your IPod's camera roll"

I do have MP4 video clips on my computer hard drive. Can they be edited to 15sec length, converted with "Squaready for video and somehow uploaded to instagram?

I'm not a fan of speeded-up video and would rather see shorter videos in real time.

Sorry for this rather garbled post!  :-\

Ken

Like IowaPharm2014 said – it just means you can use the square button with the circle in it on Instagram not only to open the inbuilt camera / video camera, but also to upload any pictures or videos you have on your iPhone or iPod. That's how your screen should look after you pressed the middle button:

So yes, you can use the videos you already have on your computer. You don't have to use the 'Squaready' App – it is just convenient (especially for someone like me who is not used to edit videos), because it crops the videos to a square, and is very simple to use overall. But if you're more comfortable with another software you use already on your computer, use that! You also don't need to crop exactly to 15 seconds – you can do that on IG. Although I don't know if it can handle really long videos, I haven't tried that.

The only thing you need to do if you have videos already, is transfer them to your iPod, because Instagram doesn't allow uploading from the computer. As far as I know that has to do with the fact that it is meant to be originally a social app to share spontenous pics of everyday stuff, that you would capture with your mobile, and to prevent people to upload hundreds or thousands of pics at once (which would not only beat the idea of spontaneity, but also clog the feeds of all the followers of such a person).

The other app someone mentioned, 'Hyperlapse', allows you to make speed-up videos very easily. As I am not a big fan of those either (any more, I used it for a while too :) ), I don't use it anymore.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »
Thank you both , very much for your valuable advice.

When I have enough time (work always seems to get in the way!) I'll have a go and see if I can produce anything worthwhile.

Ken

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
It's three weeks since I first joined instagram , and I've reached a total of 100 posts!
Without this topic, I would never have known about it.
It's great fun and I've met some interesting kindred spirits along the way.

http://instagram.com/fraser.ken
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 04:54:53 PM by Ken Fraser »

Offline IowaPharm2014

• Freshman Member
  • Iowa Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
I'm glad I could help in some small way. It wasn't immediately obvious how to get videos on to your camera roll from your computer, but I figured it out. These steps are probably similar to what you are already doing to get photos from your computer to your iPod.

Place the video file in a folder on your computer that contains some pictures (it didn't want to work with a folder that only contained videos). Connect your iPod to your computer and open ITunes.

1. Select this icon to view the sync settings for your iPod.

2. Go to the Photos Settings section.

3. Select the folder that contains the video and pictures using this dropdown.

4. Make sure this box is checked.

Sync your iPod. The videos should now be available to use in any app (including Instagram) that can interact with videos from your camera roll. (Technically they aren't in your camera roll, they are in an Album (basically a folder for pictures and videos) that has the same name as the folder you created on your computer, but you just select that Album instead of the Camera Roll Album from within the app.)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »
Thank you Stephanie and Lance for taking the time to educate me.

I think that I'm almost there, but this last stage has me beaten.

Sync your iPod. The videos should now be available to use in any app (including Instagram) that can interact with videos from your camera roll. (Technically they aren't in your camera roll, they are in an Album (basically a folder for pictures and videos) that has the same name as the folder you created on your computer, but you just select that Album instead of the Camera Roll Album from within the app.)

I've found the camera roll, but I don't know how to select the Album containing the file from within the app.

On the iPod, a copy of my video clip is now in 'camera'  'all photos' and I can select it.......but it isn't in 'camera roll'.

I'd be grateful if you can find the time to get me past this last hurdle.

Ken (feeling more than a little, stupid!)  :-[

Offline IowaPharm2014

• Freshman Member
  • Iowa Nice
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »
No problem. I'm away from my computer so can't make a nice picture, but I'll try to explain in words.

From within Instagram click on the place that Estefa indicated to add a picture from your camera roll.

Drag the thumbnails of pictures in your camera roll down towards the bottom of the screen.

You should now see a left-pointing arrow and the name of the album you are currently viewing (Camera Roll).

Touch the arrow to view all of your Albums.

Touch the name of the album that contains your video to open it.

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2015, 04:33:38 AM »
Got it!

I've just posted my first video clip!  Many thanks again!

Ken

Offline ellielewis

• Freshman Member
  • ♥ Words ♥ Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 29, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
Hello! Can I join?  ;D
Have enjoyed all your instagram feeds. I am spending far too much of my life on instagram looking through people's work at the moment. My partner comments on it! LOL

Would love some more followers if anyone would be generous enough to follow me.
I just started calligraphy this year and there seem to be very few people here in the UK compared with the US and the Philippines.

My instagram is a mixture of calligraphy and photography (my day job) - https://instagram.com/dandelion_ellie/

Thank you!
Photographer, mum & Calligraphy-beginner
Instagram | Dandelion Photography website | Facebook

Offline Lauraadamsdumont

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2015, 10:37:11 AM »
Hi Ellie, I started following you on IG.  Your kids are pretty adorable :)  I am lauraadamsdumont on IG as well.  I just got back from a trip to the UK last month -- London and Edinburgh.  Manchester will have to be my next trip.  So beautiful over there. 

Offline Freda M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 03, 2015, 11:37:08 AM »
Mine is https://instagram.com/f_cassidy/.  I love seeing everyone's work.  You guys are amazing!

Offline Jennifer J

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 15, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
I have been thinking about opening an instagram account for calligraphy for a while now, and today I finally started one! It is https://instagram.com/topazwave/ I have been following so many of you on my personal account. I love seeing all the creativity and beauty that others produce. This is a fairly new fun pastime for me and I want a place to post pretty things, too! There are only a couple posts there right now. I am excited to look back over time to see how I have changed and hopefully improved!
Jennifer

My instagram @topazwave

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
Just got myself an Instagram account, thought nothing on it yet. Hope to post one every week from this week onwards: https://instagram.com/flumm0x3d/

Offline nphotog

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
I have been so busy that I haven't had time this summer to get on the forum, but my instagram is http://instagram.com/neelysphoto
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:55:48 AM by nphotog »