Author Topic: wooden oblique penholder vs plastic oblique penholder  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
wooden oblique penholder vs plastic oblique penholder
« on: November 02, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Hello all,

So I was wondering which was more comfortable: a wooden penholder or a plastic one. I would assume the wooden just because it's a) more expensive and b) plastic would probably get all slippery after a while.

Does anybody have any preferences/thoughts on this important matter? Thanks :D

Offline dimins

• View Profile
    • Unravellations
Re: wooden oblique penholder vs plastic oblique penholder
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:34 AM »
I assume that the wooden oblique holders you are referring to would have a metal flange. This is usually adjustable compared to the plastic ones, which are already moulded into a certain position and shape. The adjustability helps you get a better writing angle with different nibs.

So the wooden oblique holders with metal flanges will be able to have a tighter grip on nibs and they wouldn't wobble loose after some time of writing (this happened with my plastic oblique holder and a Nikko G nib before). Universal metal flanges can also fit a wider range of nibs, from the standard size to the smaller sizes like Brause EF66s. Plastic flanges don't have this versatility.

I haven't acquired a wooden oblique holder with metal flange yet, so all these advantages I've just gathered from what I've heard and seen on here and on YouTube videos. I really want one though! It just doesn't seem readily available in Singapore.
- Mandy

Blog: Unravellations | Instagram: @dimins | Twitter: @unravellations

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 10:18:03 AM »
Most wooden pen holders have a metal flange which helps with adjusting the angle and the nib you plan on using.

Most plastic ones aren't as customized, they can fit only certain nibs and are just cheaply made. Recently a plastic one with a metal flange was created and I believe at PIA.

Also it depends if you prefer a heavier weight or a thicker grip size which all wood holders can accommodate to. 

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
I use and like both plastic and wood oblique holders.
The plastic one is the Peerless adjustable oblique holder.  http://www.paperinkarts.com/peerls.html
The wood ones are the PIA hourglass oblique  http://www.paperinkarts.com/hourgl.html  and one from Micheal Sull that I got at one of his classes.

The plastic Peerless oblique holder has a brass flange, so for that it is no different than a wood holder, it can be adjusted to fit many different nibs.  For me, the plastic oblique holder is just fine.  I have not had any problems with it, and I still use it despite having the 2 wood holders. 
I think that the plastic Peerless oblique holder is a great starter oblique holder.  Mine costed only $13 a couple years ago, so quite affordable.

The wood oblique holder from Michael Sull is larger/fatter than both the plastic Peerless oblique and the wooden PIA hourglass oblique.  And interestingly it feels more comfortable, though I have not sat down to try to figure out why.  There are other wood oblique holders that are shaped differently so you get a different feel and balance, and that is worth something.

In my case, I have decided that I do not like the idea of constantly adjusting the holders.  So I use one size of nibs in each of the 2 holders (Peerless and PIA hourglass), and simply use the holder that has the nib that I want to use.  That significantly reduces the manipulation that I have to do to the flange.  I do it once to fit the nib, and that is it, no more manipulation of the flange, I simply slide in a new/different nib.  At that point, plastic or wood, it makes no difference to me.
Gary

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 10:14:07 PM »
Like all here have mentioned, the key component, from a functionality point of view, is the Flange.
If the Flange is brass/metal, then you can adjust it to take different nibs and vary the slant/ tilt angle to suit your writing comfort.
That is the first part. 

The second part is the feel you get when you grip the holder. I think that there is always a warmer feeling to the wood surface than plastic.  Its a more natural feel.  It's quite like fountain pens.  You have a lot of materials for the grip section and each has a different feel. I prefer Ebonite over all other materials as it gets warmer when you grip it and feels wonderful in the hand.
This is purely your choice and preference.

If cost is a criteria, then you could also go for a plastic holder with a metal flange and wrap the grip section with some string or cloth to make is less slippery.

Below is an Image of what I mean.  This picture is of the holders used by the Great Loius Madarasz :) got from the Zanerian.com website.

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram