Author Topic: I got thrown out of a store for shopping  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
I got thrown out of a store for shopping
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »
Before I begin, I think I should warn all readers that this is an angry rant. Okay, here goes.

Yesterday afternoon, I decided to go shopping with a few of my friends for some winter gear. I decided to swing by target because they have cute clothes that typically don't cost too much. As I was browsing, one of the store clerks (or whatever you call store workers) came up to me and said, "You're going to need to leave the store, missy."

I was shocked. At first, I thought it was a joke, because I wasn't doing anything -- I was just browsing through the different scarves they had, trying to pick one. Since I was doing nothing wrong, I politely asked why I needed to leave. The clerks response was this: "I know you don't intend to buy anything; you're trying to shop lift. Your kind always tries to shop lift and you need to get out." At this point, I am thinking, "My kind?" Since when am I a different kind of person?

I decided to try and explain that I wasn't shoplifting, I was shopping for some clothes. He must have been having a bad day, because he then proceeded to grab my arm and literally shove me out of Target. At this point, my friends had gathered around and were asking what on earth was going on. While being dragged away, I explained to them that the store clerk thought I was shoplifting. They all vouched for me and started trying to convince him that I wasn't shoplifting; we were all shopping together.

He ignored them and tossed me out of the store, saying, "You n*****s need to stay the f***k away from here! Understand?"

I about exploded, but I didn't. Instead I called my daddy and he soon came over and we all marched inside (my friend's parents included, because we all called our parents). My daddy in the lead, we walked all around the store, searching for the clerk. We finally found him, and my daddy let him have it, all right.

Long story short, the manager got involved, and the store clerk was all of a sudden very respectful. Saying, "sir, this" and "sir, that." My friends' parents also joined in on putting the store clerk in his place (the main point was: don't you ever put your hands on my daughter again).

As compensation, we each were offered a free scarf; none of us took it, of course. As if a stupid scarf can make up for the humiliation I felt at being dragged out of a store like some animal.

In the end it all worked out. My daddy came and saved the day, so that was nice. Plus, it was nice to see that big bully start to squirm at my father berating him with questions (at first, he thought they were rhetorical, but Daddy made it clear that he wanted an answer).

I just wanted to put this out there because this event really hurt my feelings, and it makes me really angry. We weren't the only ones shopping, and we weren't even being loud or disruptive. We were all shopping just like everyone else in that store, but somehow, having brown skin automatically labeled us as "shoplifters." How ridiculous.

Thanks for reading my rant.

Offline katherine

• View Profile
Re: I got thrown out of a store for shopping
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
Oh god, that's horrible -- I'm so sorry that happened to you. Especially at a large store that should have good training programs like Target. (Not that this is excusable anywhere)

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »
Crikey Carina, that's appalling.  I'm glad to hear that the bully got taken to task, but he ought to be out of a job - and you deserve an abject apology in writing, including an explanation of how Target is going to make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone again.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »
Wow! Not only did he use coarse words, but he also manhandled you? I don't know man, if anybody even thinks about touching me forcefully like that, there would be some justified physical assault charges made...

Good on your dad! Though I personally feel that guy should be fired, I can't imagine Target ever wanting to keep such a racist prick! They take PR very seriously.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
That is horrible! Completely unacceptable! I agree with Andy. I would take this to their corporate office.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline sheila247

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »
I am so sorry this happened to you.   Racism makes me sad.  I agree that the employee should be fired and you deserve an apology.  I have never understood the fear and/or hatred that fuels racism.  I am glad your dad put the guy in his place. 

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51:48 PM »
What a horrible and humiliating thing to go through.  I think a complaint to head office is in order - if this sort of thing is going on, they need to tackle it, and issue you with a proper apology. 

I take it your friends, who weren't thrown out, were white?
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 02:47:04 PM »
Utterly shocking! I'm sorry you had experience that - I would be writing to head office and see him fired! I can't believe they had the audacity to offer you a scarf as if that was enough to render the situation ok. As Andy said you should be getting a formal apology in writing and what they plan to do about it.
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 03:23:04 PM »
What a horrible and humiliating thing to go through.  I think a complaint to head office is in order - if this sort of thing is going on, they need to tackle it, and issue you with a proper apology. 

I take it your friends, who weren't thrown out, were white?

Yes, my other friends were white. Thank you for your advice. I'll definitely talk to my parents about it.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 03:24:03 PM »
Wow! Not only did he use coarse words, but he also manhandled you? I don't know man, if anybody even thinks about touching me forcefully like that, there would be some justified physical assault charges made...

Good on your dad! Though I personally feel that guy should be fired, I can't imagine Target ever wanting to keep such a racist prick! They take PR very seriously.

Yeah, I would have liked to press charges, I have school and I don't want to deal with court cases on top of everything else.   :P

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Wow. 
There is nothing that can excuse that clerk's behavior.  Nothing.  He is the person who should feel humiliated, as he behaved shamefully. 
I think your dad is brilliant!  Go dad! 
And you are brilliant too, because you made sure there were consequences for someone's bad behavior. 
Sendong you inky support & friendship!
Ev

Offline ErinBear

• Freshman Member
  • Lettering n00b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear you were treated this way. It makes me sick that people behave this way.

You did the right thing. And remember - negative thoughts and actions say far more about the person they're coming from than the person they're directed at. Stay strong and fight the good fight!
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself."
-Oscar Wilde

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
This is potentially horrible PR for Target.  If I were you, I'd go to the store manager & say you're filing a complaint (or have your parents help out, they're great BTW) & then follow through.  Contact Target's corporate office also.  Perhaps even a letter to the editor of your biggest local newspaper.  Carina, how you were treated is so wrong on so many levels.
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:30 AM »
Wow what an outrageous behavior of that person!! I am glad your family and friends stood up for you. Sending you supporting friendly thoughts!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 03:57:59 AM »
Yeah, I would have liked to press charges, I have school and I don't want to deal with court cases on top of everything else.   :P

This is potentially horrible PR for Target.  If I were you, I'd go to the store manager & say you're filing a complaint (or have your parents help out, they're great BTW) & then follow through.  Contact Target's corporate office also.  Perhaps even a letter to the editor of your biggest local newspaper.  Carina, how you were treated is so wrong on so many levels.

I have every sympathy for your point of view, Carina, and it's entirely up to you and your family whether you want to pursue the matter.  I will, however, say this: you have been subjected to a physical and verbal assault in public, and you have witnesses.  I don't know how this sort of story plays where you are, but in my country this is potentially national news and the store worker would be in a world of trouble.  Public tolerance for this sort of behaviour is close to zero.  I'd like to think that you're in a very strong position should you decide to file a complaint after all.

My personal opinion is that this guy needs his hide nailing to the wall, if that's the expression I'm looking for.  ;)