Author Topic: To slant, or not to slant, that is the question!  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Jakmo1935

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
To slant, or not to slant, that is the question!
« on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:11 AM »
I suppose that every pursuit has some rules, parameters , etc, etc. but , don't we consider penmanship to be an art? What do you think Picasso, or Dali would say if they were told that their blues had to fall within certain spectrums. Or their reds could not be brighter than cherries! Tell Dali, or Escher that to be pleasing to the eye that joining angles could not deviate more than 35 degrees. I love Spencerian penmanship , I love it's flow, it's letter shapes, etc. But WTF...do I really need a protractor by my side to check my work?  Who gives a FF, other than me if I slant at 60, or 45? If it's pleasing to my eye I'm a happy camper! I would hope that it would please others too.  If not, well.. I'll still be happy, and writing keeps me out of the taverns.
Boy, it's great to be 80!
Love ya all
a voice, crying in the wilderness.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Re: To slant, or not to slant, that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
If it's pleasing to my eye I'm a happy camper! I would hope that it would please others too.  If not, well.. I'll still be happy, and writing keeps me out of the taverns.
Hahaha
Not that there's anything wrong with taverns...

Regarding your topic, you will find in this forum many threads with the same idea, that to break the rules you must first learn them.  I would just add that as you go along your own path, you will come by two types of people, the wise ones who have mastered the proper slanting, and the unwise ones who like to play around freely and experiment.  You can have it both ways, that's what I say.  Just have fun and keep on truckin'

8)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:38:19 PM »
I don't think it really matters. The slant is probably just there so your letters don't go around smooching each other :P

Plus, I think at one time, calligraphy was taught as normal handwriting because back then only very important things were written down. Having a consistent slant helps to enhance the legibility . . . or something like that.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
Nice to see you here again, Jakmo.  I think you should follow your own inclination.  :)

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »
Nice to see you here again, Jakmo.  I think you should follow your own inclination.  :)

Nice job.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 07:52:29 PM »

Nice job.

Thank you (just kidding  ;D)

Offline Jakmo1935

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »

[/

8)
[/quote]I would just add that as you go along your own path, you will come by two types of people, the wise ones who have mastered the proper slanting, and the unwise ones who like to play around freely and experiment. 
I wouldn't say that slanting correctly or not, necessarily makes one wise, or unwise, but I get your drift.  It just seems more like engineering . I do agree that learning the guidelines is a must, but sometimes our muse lets us wander around a bit,
Well, thanks for listening . This is usually the time my young bride says "shut up".

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:20:00 AM »
my posts frequently include things i learned while teaching and topics of discussion with other teachers who are the rock stars in calligraphy. the teachers i talked to about slant all agreed that most students have a natural slant. an older student with many years of writing at a particular slant, will do better -in the beginning- if they adjust the exemplar to the slant that is already embedded in their hand-eye-brain.

with italics, if you write with no slant at all, and have been writing with no slant for 40 years, then, it is a good idea to try a no-slant italic -in the beginning. after you learn all the basic strokes and can do a good job with no slant, then you can start adding in the amount of slant that pleases you. with pointed pens, if i had a student whose regular penmanship had no slant, i would start them on upright ornamental and they would usually do better with upright -in the beginning- and after some success with upright, they could move on to other styles with slant.

so, in a nutshell, if you already have a specific slant to your writing - use that slant to learn any style and AFTER you achieve some success with a basic hand done at your natural slant, move on to adjusting the slant.

then there are the beginners who have regular penmanship that does not conform to any slant. it can be challenging to get them to slow down enough to maintain proper slant. if they are motivated, they do fine and they have the flexibility of choosing any exemplar and learning any slant, because they do not have any pre-determined natural slant.

IMHO, there isn't one way to proceed. the student has to understand and embrace the tedious process of learning many different tasks - and then do them all at the same time:
the tools - papers, nibs, inks, grip (each of those can be full of details)
ergonomics - if you are not at the right height, you'll have trouble
the basic strokes - essential
slant - essential
how the strokes connect - essential
white space - uber essential, but frequently the least understood component for the beginner

so there are at least 9 things that you have to work on - at the same time - that IMHO are essential to making progress.
neglecting any one of these can be the equivalent to driving your car with a flat tire - yes, it can be done....but, it's not advised.

a final note to the folks who love the wild and crazy, no-rules, no regrets, just noodle around and have fun path - yes, that's a valid approach. if you are going to go that route, be honest about your intent and realistic about what you think the results will be.

guidelines or no-guidelines is a bit like the recipe or no-recipe debate. it would be rude to tell the classically trained french chefs that their approach is a waste of time and home cooking tastes better. and a classically trained french chef has respect for the rustic cooking that comes from people who never read a recipe in their life, but they turn out delicious food. 

Offline Jakmo1935

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
I wish I'd said that!