Author Topic: Can I use cardboard as blotting paper?  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Can I use cardboard as blotting paper?
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
Can I use cardboard as blotting paper?

Blotting paper as in the paper you're supposed to put under whatever paper you're writing on in order to provide a cushioned writing surface.

Is blotting paper the right term? And would cardboard work?

Just wondering

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Re: Can I use cardboard as blotting paper?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 01:33:17 PM »
I have never tried it as a blotter but I would imagine if there are any ridges at all, it would not work.  Seems a bit stiff though?  Wonder if anyone's tried it?

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »
I haven't tried cardboard, but thanks to a suggestion I found in the forum, I have successfully been using a sheet of felt. I think Erica had suggested it. Got it at a craft store, Michael's I think, for less than $1!

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »
I haven't tried cardboard, but thanks to a suggestion I found in the forum, I have successfully been using a sheet of felt. I think Erica had suggested it. Got it at a craft store, Michael's I think, for less than $1!

Oooh, felt. I've never thought about that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Offline tomcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:07 PM »
Newspaper is probably even better(learned from Master Penman John Decollibus), cardboard tends to have ridges which can lead to poking a hole through while writing. (From experience)

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
+1 on the newspaper suggestion.

Ooohh...thanks, Estrella! I'm gonna have to give this a try.
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 04:00:34 PM »
I have some soft, thick board sold as blotting paper; I think I bought it at IAMPETH.  I works fine for me.

I cut pieces so they fit into envelopes and I draw guidelines on it with a sharpie.  If the envelope is thin enough, I can see the guidelines through the paper.
Ev

Offline June P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »
I have a piece of tagboard, which I cut to fit the end of the table where I work and have an old cotton tablecloth underneath the tagboard.
See with what large letters I have written to you with my own hand! Galatians 6:11

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 09:31:12 AM »
Are you supposed to have something soft under the paper?  I've been writing with the paper on a wooden board that protects my table top.  It is definitely not soft.  What is the effect of this?  Does it make it easier to move the pen or is it just to catch the bleed-through?

Offline rabbitship

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
I have the same question as Sean.. I've simply been writing on the table except maybe one or two extra writing pieces underneath. Will this help in the way one writes?
♥ Mag

Instagram: @folkandfoxy | Carousell: Calligrapy Supplies in Singapore

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I've used newspaper, scrap practice sheets, blotting paper and lately thick felt (with a guide sheet or piece of scrap under the writing paper): all work.  I think I'll probably stick with the felt for the time being because it's particularly good with quills, but really it's a case of whatever you have to hand and seems to work best.  Brian Walker, by the way, favours about 20 big sheets of blotting paper taped to a board: make of that what you will.  It's a good semi-permanent solution, but rather bulky.

In answer to the questions immediately above, you want some cushion because it enables the nib to glide more easily, and it also helps with acquiring a light touch.  The softer the nib, the more desirable it is to have a surface with a bit of give.  I note with interest that there seems to be a sort of mini-trend in fountain pen circles for hard writing mats or even using glass.  I'm unsure what benefits were claimed, but it would certainly make life more difficult with a sharp, flexible dip pen.

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
Unfortunately with a light pad/box, I am limited to the guide sheet inside of a page protector.  So I get some cushioning, but not very much.

As for writing on a HARD surface, I don't like the feel of that, never did.  I need some padding, even if it is only a couple sheets of paper. 
Some cardboard are HARD, almost like wood, others have a bit of give.  With corrugated cardboard, I can sometimes feel the corrugation, and that is not good for writing.
Gary

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »
Unfortunately with a light pad/box, I am limited to the guide sheet inside of a page protector.  So I get some cushioning, but not very much.

Do you suppose that there might be some species of bubble wrap which might work, Gary?  Can't say I've come across it if there is, but maybe ...

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »

Do you suppose that there might be some species of bubble wrap which might work, Gary?  Can't say I've come across it if there is, but maybe ...

Won't bubble wrap be too bumpy?

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »

As for writing on a HARD surface, I don't like the feel of that, never did.  I need some padding, even if it is only a couple sheets of paper. 
Some cardboard are HARD, almost like wood, others have a bit of give.  With corrugated cardboard, I can sometimes feel the corrugation, and that is not good for writing.

In another FF thread, someone (who?) suggested that using inexpensive white felt as a blotter will work with a light box.  I tried this.  I drew lines on the felt with a black sharpie.  It worked for me. 
Ev