Author Topic: Is there more variation in broad edge pen calligraphy style?  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
Is there more variation in broad edge pen calligraphy style?
« on: December 18, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
It seems like there is a lot of variation in broad edge calligraphy styles. There's blacklettre, gothic, italic, roman; the list is just so long. It seems as though there are more broad edge calligraphy styles than pointed nib calligraphy styles. Is this true? Or is it that I am not all too familiar with broad edge calligraphy that it seems to vast and daunting?

And which is older: broad edge pen calligraphy or pointed nib calligraphy?

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
Re: Is there more variation in broad edge pen calligraphy style?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
I'd say that yes, there are more broad edge styles, and that is because broad edge calligraphy is older. Pointed pen didn't really come into its own until people could make steel nibs, in the 18/19th centuries (?? -- help me out here, someone with a better grasp on dates than I have). When people still wrote with reeds and quills (which they did for thousands of years), the materials were too delicate to hold up with a pointed nib, so they cut broad nibs. With ten times as long to evolve, it's perfectly natural that there would be more broad-nib styles than pointed pen styles.
Clara

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 03:42:39 AM »
Here are just some broad-edged pen styles taken from my previous work. There are far fewer pointed-pen variations. The broad-edged pen preceded the flexible pointed nib by several centuries.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
Here are just some broad-edged pen styles taken from my previous work. There are far fewer pointed-pen variations. The broad-edged pen preceded the flexible pointed nib by several centuries.

Oh wow. I think the style you used to write the word 'penmanship' (in the lower left hand corner) is my favourite. I didn't know broad edge pen calligraphy is *that* old. That's pretty chill. Can you do this same thing with a pointed nib please?

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 05:25:09 PM »
Oh wow. I think the style you used to write the word 'penmanship' (in the lower left hand corner) is my favourite. I didn't know broad edge pen calligraphy is *that* old. That's pretty chill. Can you do this same thing with a pointed nib please?

Yes, certainly. but as this category is for broad edged nib writing, I'll post it in the Show & Tell category.

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »

Yes, certainly. but as this category is for broad edged nib writing, I'll post it in the Show & Tell category.

Thank you

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
I didn't know broad edge pen calligraphy is *that* old.

The chisel edged reed pen was well established in Greece 2200 years ago ... so yes, getting on a bit.  :-)

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
I didn't know broad edge pen calligraphy is *that* old.

The chisel edged reed pen was well established in Greece 2200 years ago ... so yes, getting on a bit.  :-)

In Greece!? The more ya know . . .