Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 59870 times)

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
Calligraphy confessions
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:08:46 AM »
I thought it would be fun to start a topic where we can "confess" anything that comes to mind regarding our calligraphy adventures! Here's mine:

Many calligraphers seem to have an affinity for cats, but...I'm not a cat person *wince*. I don't really dislike them... I just don't actively like them. Sorry!

Another is that I am. so. clumsy. It is ridiculous. I drop my pen, my fingers often have ink stains, I tear my papers, I forget to line up my nib properly and don't realize until I'm frustrated because my letters are weird, I've dropped the nib in the ink before and the list goes on. The worst of it is that I've spilled my ink in my lap more times than I want to count! I've learned that walnut ink comes out of clothes much easier than sumi, if anyone is curious, haha.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:09:48 PM by Meredith S »

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »
omg, I love this idea!

Here is a confession:  I haven't changed my water jar in ... a few days ... it's kinda misty ...

and sometimes i use the dirty water to top up my gouache anyway because i'm so lazy

so ashamed.

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
My confession.

I have spent wayyy too much time on the internet 'studying' calligraphy, when I really should have been practicing practicing practicing!!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 01:43:39 AM »
one:  i sometimes have a short-term memory lapse.  this isn't just for calligraphy haha...it's like i think of doing something, and then i immediately forget it.

when i was doing the birthday mails, i already prepared the letter and trinkets to include in the envelope.  i already placed it beside the envelope.  but what did i do?  i immediately sealed the envelope, dabbing glue stick on all corners and pressing it to make sure it closes.  it was only after that that i see the letter and the stickers outside!  now, i cannot just pop open the envelope because it's all glued and it would rip if i forced it.  so i am silly and stoops like that.

two:  i am the epitome of laziness when it comes to cleaning my nibs.  just super duper lazy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:46:48 AM by patweecia »
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »
My confession.

I have spent wayyy too much time on the internet 'studying' calligraphy, when I really should have been practicing practicing practicing!!

I'm right there with you ::)

Offline Roseann

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:06:24 AM »
As if I have all the time in the world, right?  ! don't think so!
Roseann

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”   R. L. Stevenson

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:20:47 AM »
omg, I love this idea!

Here is a confession:  I haven't changed my water jar in ... a few days ... it's kinda misty ...

and sometimes i use the dirty water to top up my gouache anyway because i'm so lazy

so ashamed.
Lol! For shame, you lazy pensloth!

I'm a little ashamed to admit, if my ink flakes on the sides of my jar then comes off on my table,  I scoop it up with my hands and put it back in, hoping it will stir in. There's some lazy for you!

one:  i sometimes have a short-term memory lapse.  this isn't just for calligraphy haha...it's like i think of doing something, and then i immediately forget it.

I do this too,  sometimes.  I unabashedly blame it on mommy-brain,  but let's be real, it happened pre-kids, too.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »
Well, I seem to suffer from "calligraphy brains" too ! Suddenly I don't know how to spell basic words and forget everything... 
And I'm super lazy too when it come to changing my water pot...  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure when I changed it last...  Off I go !

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »
I love this thread :D

I still don't like bird flourishes.

And the worst, I almost can't say it: I never clean the front part of my holders ... I just forget! I clean the nibs, but the first few millimeters of my holders are covered in all kinds of inks ... even ... oh god ... even the unique oblique and I don't even care because it's the front part only and the rest is superpretty still.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
This is a fun thread....I am so guilty about not changing the waterpot....or writing with a nib until I get so frustrated that I think the issue is me when all I needed to do was use a fresh nib. I have been so obsessed with calligraphy lately that I would rather do it than my work at work (this needs to stop) and I dreamt of calligraphy all last night! LOL
Star

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
writing with a nib until I get so frustrated that I think the issue is me when all I needed to do was use a fresh nib.
OMG YES!!

I have been so obsessed with calligraphy lately that I would rather do it than my work at work
Yes, yes, yees! Which kinda sucks, since you should like doing your job. But if there's something with such a strong pull as calligraphy ...
Even my social life is suffering ::)
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
I love this thread :D

I still don't like bird flourishes.

And the worst, I almost can't say it: I never clean the front part of my holders ... I just forget! I clean the nibs, but the first few millimeters of my holders are covered in all kinds of inks ... even ... oh god ... even the unique oblique and I don't even care because it's the front part only and the rest is superpretty still.

Lol! The tiny shame-filled font size is cracking me up. Ink on your holder just adds character!  ;)

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »
I tried to wish someone a lovely summer once, and I totally wrote 'have a lonely summer!'

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »
I tried to wish someone a lovely summer once, and I totally wrote 'have a lonely summer!'

felicia, this made me laugh  ;D  i wouldn't mind it if it were me though because your spencerian is the bomb :)
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline anam_t

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 05:10:05 AM »
This is a fun thread....I am so guilty about not changing the waterpot....or writing with a nib until I get so frustrated that I think the issue is me when all I needed to do was use a fresh nib. I have been so obsessed with calligraphy lately that I would rather do it than my work at work (this needs to stop) and I dreamt of calligraphy all last night! LOL

Omg! I totally agree with you! It was my first week of internship and I was all over iampeth.com and PIA because I had been given the most boring task to do.
I would be happy doing calligraphy full time, to be honest!