Author Topic: A Couple Questions  (Read 3213 times)

Offline lgfuad

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A Couple Questions
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:23:24 PM »
Hello everyone! This is my first post here and I'm a bit nervous, but it's the only place I can think of to ask.

First of all, I've been in love with modern calligraphy for quite awhile now. I started with fake calligraphy and now have finally moved on to the real thing. My fingers are stained with ink at this very moment lol Sadly, I don't have anything too impressive to share yet :( but I do have a couple questions. If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it!

The first thing I'm having trouble with is not using my wrists. Does anyone have any tips for using your whole arm and keeping the wrist still?

The second thing I really need help with is adding bounce to letters. One of the first things I fell in love with in modern calligraphy is the "uneven" letters in the words. I keep trying to bounce the letters on/off the baseline, but it never turns out right. I would really appreciate some tips for that as well.

Thank you for any help in advance! And I can't tell you how glad I am that this place exists.

Offline Dries

• View Profile
Re: A Couple Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 03:12:05 AM »
Hi and welcome. I am sure other will be able to give you even better advice, but on the wrist movement question I would suggest that you avoid keeping your elbow too close to your upper body. When your elbow is against your body it limits the mobility of your forearm.

Try positioning your paper slightly to the right (if you are right-handed) rather than directly in front of you – this should help to give your arm room to move. As an alternative, rotate your hand slightly to move your elbow away from your body.

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Elisabeth_M

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
I'm not a pointed pen person, but what about trying a wrist brace while you are learning to use your whole arm?  I'm not sure if it would immobilize your wrist in the way that you need it to, but if it does, then you can keep it on until using your whole arm becomes second nature.
Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge.  --Carl Sagan

Instagram

Offline nabeelah

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »
For trying to use your whole arm and not just your wrist, why don't you try some movement exercise drills? Here are some typical drills - you can practice these in pencil so you don't need to worry about managing the pen and ink while you're practicing the movement. Don't worry if it takes you a while to get this, it's really hard to remove the training about doing all movement with your wrist that you're probably used to from handwriting.

About the bouncing off the baseline - you could try ruling a line just below your normal baseline (so you have two parallel lines, one just below the other). Then you can make some of your strokes go to that alternative baseline. I have the same problem - I'm so used to writing on a line that it's hard to remember to 'bounce' the letters so the alternative baseline reminds me about doing that.  :D

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:30:30 PM »
Regarding bouncing the letters in modern styles, you might alternatively try keeping some part of every letter touching an imaginary "midline" (drawn between the baseline and waistline). This is similar to what nabeelah said, just a little higher up, slightly above the baseline.

Offline lgfuad

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:52 AM »
Thank you all for the advice<3

I actually thought about a wrist brace. I'm still having a little trouble with not using my wrist, but holding my elbow away from me and tilting the paper has helped!

I bought a Rhoda pad with dots to help me with the bouncing letters. That's helping too. I still pencil in some guidelines though. I also found that tracing other examples is helping.

Thank you all so, so much!