Author Topic: Huion A4 Lightpad review  (Read 27177 times)

Offline Mandy

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Huion A4 Lightpad review
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2014, 11:32:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for your reviews. Which exact model do you have? I am struggling to sort out which model to buy.

I got the A4 sized-- the model number is L4S, it comes with a USB cable, not a power outlet.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2014, 05:35:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for your reviews. Which exact model do you have? I am struggling to sort out which model to buy.

I have the A3 model.  It's so big! and so bright! Big enough that I can work on large projects as well as envelopes. :)  It came with a power outlet, not a USB (American, of course) but works fine with a converter on an Australian power supply.

Offline Hayley

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
I'm fairly new with calligraphy and I'm about to start doing some wedding envelopes and other projects, and I'm having trouble deciding which lightpad to get. I think I want the USB cord instead of the wall plug, but the ones with the USB have a lower brightness than the A4.

If anyone with the L4S or the LB4 models could let me know if they've ever had trouble with heavy envelopes or watercolor paper because of the lower brightness, or if those work fine for most projects, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
those thin sheets of styrofoam that are used for packing material make a nice cushion
under your paper or envelope
when you are working on any kind of light pad or light box.
they let most of the light through.

jean

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
Felicia / Patricia, May I ask where you guys ordered the Lightpad from? Thanks!
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »
Felicia / Patricia, May I ask where you guys ordered the Lightpad from? Thanks!

Mapet, from qoo10. Quick delivery too.

Offline lemonpassion

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2014, 06:59:24 PM »
Thank you, Sue!

*runs to qoo10*
Hi, I'm Mapet!
Instagram! | Flickr

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:44 AM »
I got the Huion A4 Lightpad this summer and used it happily for about 2 months.  Then, I began to have problems with the connection between the cord & the unit.  The Lightpad would NOT take a charge & could not sense that it was connected to power.  I tried many different electrical outlets and USB combinations & nothing worked to turn the unit on.   :-[  I liked having the portability and the 3-stage settings for brightness.  I read at Amazon.com that others were experiencing the same problem with the connector.  I ended up sending it back and I instead purchased the Artograph 12-Inch by 17-Inch Light Pad Light Box.  It is more expensive and only has one setting (VERY BRIGHT).  However, it WORKS each & every time that I go to use it.  And, the Huion had an "Off" button that was below your right arm & you could inadvertently turn the device off (over and over and over again).  This unit's on/off switch is out of the way on the side of the unit.  I am very pleased with it and have been giving it very heavy use (I'm working on a large wedding project).  The light is so bright that I am even able to see my guide sheet clearly through the inner, lined envelopes!  (Of course, it helps that the bride chose ecru liners!  I don't know if I could see through a dark navy or deep gold liner!)  This' the first time that I have been able to see through a lined envelope & it has sure made my life a lot easier!

Janis

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
Reading through all of these reviews for the Huion and curious-- now that it's been a few months/year, has anyone else experienced the charging problems Janis described? How do you all feel about the location of the buttons? Would love some followup reviews now that you've all been able to use the light pad for quite some time. Thanks!
Calligraphy newbie and bibliophile, penning my (and your) favorite passages since December 2014

My Instagram

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »
I'm also curious about the difference between this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Ultra-thin-ADJUSTABLE-Illumination-Lifetime/dp/B00J0UUHPO/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1418572843&sr=1-3&keywords=huion+light+pad
and this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Inches-Artcraft-Tracing-Light/dp/B00J3NRAV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1418572843&sr=1-1&keywords=huion+light+pad
The size for the first is 17.72 inches and the second is listed as 17.7 inches. Price difference of just under $10. Can someone shed some light on these/tell me what I'm missing? There's got to be more of a difference here, I'm guessing.
Calligraphy newbie and bibliophile, penning my (and your) favorite passages since December 2014

My Instagram

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »
I'm also curious about the difference between this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Ultra-thin-ADJUSTABLE-Illumination-Lifetime/dp/B00J0UUHPO/ref=sr_1_3?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1418572843&sr=1-3&keywords=huion+light+pad
and this model:
http://www.amazon.com/Huion-Inches-Artcraft-Tracing-Light/dp/B00J3NRAV2/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1418572843&sr=1-1&keywords=huion+light+pad
The size for the first is 17.72 inches and the second is listed as 17.7 inches. Price difference of just under $10. Can someone shed some light on these/tell me what I'm missing? There's got to be more of a difference here, I'm guessing.

My husband purchased from the seller on the first link you posted.  I'm slightly wary of the second link because there are some grammar/spelling errors.  I can verify that the first link gives you an excellent product, only because hubs is a wonderfully generous gift giver and let me have my light pad early.  I will say...he got it for $36.60.  I'd keep watching the price - apparently, it can vary greatly.  It's also interesting to me that one of the sellers is "Huion" and the other is "HUION."  I am suspicious of the HUION under link #2...do some investigating and make sure the seller is legit before you purchase - you could be getting a false product.

As for the light pad itself...the Huion L4S is great!  I'm completely obsessed and echo all of the positive reviews that have been posted to this thread.

Hope all goes well!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2014, 09:21:14 AM »
I was surprised with one of these L4S models under the tree yesterday (yayyyy!) and just wanted to let everyone know that it came with a little pamphlet describing all of the Huion models. While the Amazon pages can be confusing, it turns out the differences in size/accessories are easily understandable when you have pictures of all of them with the specifications of each! :) They should really publish thumbnails of this pamphlet on their product listing pages. Anyhow, if anyone has a particular Huion model in mind and want to know exactly what size it is and what it comes with, let me know!

For now, I think the most important distinctions are that the L4S and LB4 include a USB cord that must be plugged into a computer or a wall adapter for use, but the A4, A3, and A2 all come with a regular power adapter that plugs into the wall. I think most people have either a computer or a USB adapter, but if you don't you should know the LS4 and LB4 do not come with one. (Huion does sell a USB adapter on Amazon for around $12.) The LB4 also has a battery pack, which is why the outer dimensions of the pad are different than the L4S's but the active area is the same-- (see my question and links two posts up). They are all made by Huion, which is apparently a Chinese company per the info on the box and pamphlet, so that's probably why there are various grammatical/spelling errors in the listings.

All in all, seems like a great product and a good investment for anyone looking for a light pad!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:25:53 AM by MeganUnderlined »

My Instagram

Offline Afreen Gaffar

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2015, 10:08:32 PM »
I was surprised with one of these L4S models under the tree yesterday (yayyyy!) and just wanted to let everyone know that it came with a little pamphlet describing all of the Huion models. While the Amazon pages can be confusing, it turns out the differences in size/accessories are easily understandable when you have pictures of all of them with the specifications of each! :) They should really publish thumbnails of this pamphlet on their product listing pages. Anyhow, if anyone has a particular Huion model in mind and want to know exactly what size it is and what it comes with, let me know!

For now, I think the most important distinctions are that the L4S and LB4 include a USB cord that must be plugged into a computer or a wall adapter for use, but the A4, A3, and A2 all come with a regular power adapter that plugs into the wall. I think most people have either a computer or a USB adapter, but if you don't you should know the LS4 and LB4 do not come with one. (Huion does sell a USB adapter on Amazon for around $12.) The LB4 also has a battery pack, which is why the outer dimensions of the pad are different than the L4S's but the active area is the same-- (see my question and links two posts up). They are all made by Huion, which is apparently a Chinese company per the info on the box and pamphlet, so that's probably why there are various grammatical/spelling errors in the listings.

All in all, seems like a great product and a good investment for anyone looking for a light pad!

Hi Megan,

Can you please let me know which lightpad is the brightest? I was trying to find out the brightness on the A2 & A3 models but it wasnt listed on Amazon. In the smaller models I think the A4 is the brightest.

Thanks in advance! :)

Afreen.
Budding Calligrapher,Artist, Engineer, Adventurer... and a bunch of other stuff :-)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/afreengaffar/

Offline MeganUnderlined

• Esse quam videri.
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »

Hi Megan,

Can you please let me know which lightpad is the brightest? I was trying to find out the brightness on the A2 & A3 models but it wasnt listed on Amazon. In the smaller models I think the A4 is the brightest.

Thanks in advance! :)

Afreen.
[/quote]

Hi Afreen-- sorry I didn't see your question sooner.

I can tell you what the pamphlet lists the voltage of each model as:

L4S: 5V
LB4: 5V
A4: 12V
A3: 12V
A2: 12V

Hope that helps!

-Megan

My Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Afreen,
I think the USB port is a 5v circuit, so they are restricted to that voltage, and the max current of the USB port.
The 12v units would give the designer more flexibility with the lighting design, so potentially, they could be brighter.  So I would go with the 12v units.
Gary