Author Topic: Greetings from California  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Mljohnson805

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Johnson Design Offering Fine Hand Lettering, Illustration and Graphic Design
Greetings from California
« on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »
Thanks to Erica for creating an online forum for lettering artists!

Way back in 1981 I thought calligraphy would be a good addition to my graphic design skills. Started at local hobby shop with a fountain pen and not so good exemplars. Really enjoyed the challenge of learning a new skill. Little did I know this would become a total obsession.

A few years later, took another class and learned about a calligraphy guild in Los Angeles; Society for Calligraphy. I paid the dues and have been forever changed by world class instructors, annual retreats in Montecito (spring) and Yosemite in the Ahwahnee (fall). You guessed it, had to ditch the old habits and completely relearn letter forms. I attend as many Conferences as my day job allows.

My favorite script is Copperplate. Studied with Lefty Fontenrose and Mike Kecseg. Then decided to try designing wedding invitations and addressing envelopes in the 90's. That first envelope in gray gouache on Crane paper was pure self inflicted terror. Then I started teaching and really had to study up.

As a beginner to hand lettering, the best moment ever was an opening address for a conference featuring the first hand lettered piece from each of the conference instructors. Calligraphy is a life long journey. With 12 scripts to master, maybe 2 lifetimes. All efforts can be honored no matter where, when or how we start.

Look forward to learning and sharing with other calligraphers, who are the most wonderful people on the planet. San Luis Obispo is a 4 hour drive from LA, making this online forum a good way to get that pen and ink fix.

Mary Lou

Mary Lou Johnson

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from California
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »
Hi Mary Lou!  Sounds like you have studied from some wonderful masters!  Can't wait to see some of your work!  :)
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline Nice Plume

• View Profile
    • Nice Plume
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
Hey Mary Lou, welcome In the forum, Nice to have you with us   :)
Bonsoir ! Nora

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
So nice to meet you, Mary Lou! Your work is so beautiful and so inspiring. I'm also a member of the Society for Calligraphy, however I'm just a "junior member" at two years so far. I really love being in the guild, so many wonderful teachers and workshops and best of all, generous calligraphers too. I couldn't agree with you more about calligraphy being a life long journey!

Will you be attending Letters in February?

Offline Mljohnson805

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
LindaY,
Hope to see you in one of the SFC events. Won't make it to Letters in Feb, but hope to next year. You will love the classes and setting on Campus. Good for you, get in there and letter.
Mary Lou
Mary Lou Johnson

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
Welcome Mary Lou!

I enjoyed reading about your calligraphic journey. So marvelous to study with all the wonderful teachers. I wish I could fly to LA for those workshops! Especially in Montecito!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:59 AM »
Hi Mary Lou!  I loved reading your introduction--  especially smiled at this part:

"That first envelope in gray gouache on Crane paper was pure self inflicted terror."

LOL!  I can relate!  Can't wait to have a look at your work.  I'm so glad you've joined up here, and I hope you'll have some stuff to add to the brand new "Copperplate" section! 

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:05:46 PM »
Nice to meet you, Mary Lou! As a beginner, it's always inspiring to hear from people who shared similar struggles when they started calligraphy and continue to learn and grow. I'd like to join one of the local calligraphy societies. Maybe we'll run into each other one day-- i'm in the North Bay area!
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Mljohnson805

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 08:29:53 PM »
PicklesnVodka,
I can't say enough good things about joining a regional society or guild. You will have an opportunity to meet wonderful teachers. It's a journey with wonderful scenery and stops along our ink spattered way. Hope to meet you too.
Mary Lou Johnson