Author Topic: 'Corso di caligrafía' by Barbara Calzolari and Alessandro Salice  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Here is a quick overview over the new book by Barbara Calzolari!! I didn't find the original thread where we talked about it, but I hope those who are interested will find it here.

The book comes in a nice little box, it's a paperback and there are some nice goodies also in the box: a brush pen, a fineliner from Pentel, a sketch booklet made of Kraft paper, and some info / advertising from Pentel.

The book itself contains of three parts: one historical information chapter, several chapters with practical introduction and pointed pen exemplars, then comes a third part about 'calligraphy of the world' – outstanding contemporary calligraphers.

I can't say much about the historical and the third chapter, my Italian simply is not good enough and as I have fairly lots of knowledge and information about script history already, that was not the reason I bought the book.

The practical section is why I really love the book. This is only about pointed pen, and that means not only nib, but also pencil, fineliner and brush. She teaches such different hands as

- a Grotesk Capitals Alphabet (based on Roman Majuscules), written with pencil,

- then a Cursive that is a charming and to my knowledge unique mixture of Italic and Spencerian / American Business Hand – less slanted than Spencerian, but a real running hand with ligatures (other than classical Italic), with two sets of capitals, one based on Italic, the other on Spencerian. This is shown as monoline written with fineliner.

- Copperplate (Corsivo inglese) written with nib and oblique holder. Beautiful.

- Last comes what for me is most interesting because I don't have any book about that already, the chapter about brush script. She shows two different exemplars, one that looks to me like a typical brush script style, the other is based on Copperplate forms. Also, amazing …

Every practical chapter comes with drills / exercises, letter variants, and explanations about hand posture etc. Because of the fact that my Italian is basic at best (I could order an espresso, but to understand calligraphy lingo is something else …), I can't say a lot about these, although luckily some handwritten information is actually in English! I don't want to complain about the fact that it is Italian, I just think that this book would get an even bigger audience if it had been maybe bilingual … so that is the only downside about the book, for those who don't speak Italian.

On the other hand the pictures are big and well made, so they speak for themselves. Throughout the book are some illustrative pages with the gorgeous, highly aesthetic and sometimes even funny calligraphy by Barbara.

I bought the book on Amazon.de for 17,00 €, they ship internationally (not too expensive from Germany), at the moment it is even on sale for about 15,00 €.

I'm really happy and can't wait to start brush lettering!!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:00:16 AM by Estefa »
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: 'Corso di caligrafía' by Barbara Calzolari and Alessandro Salice
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:42 AM »
Thank you, Stefanie! I so want this book!!!

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:17:15 AM »
Thanks for the review.  I will definitely get this, hopefully in English.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:29:38 AM »
Oops... accidentally clicked through and bought it through Amazon from a UK distributor. Couldn't wait for an English version... or Christmas.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Will there be an English version???
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:19 PM »
I have no idea … would have preferred that too!!

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:55 PM »
I don't know... but if there is I'll give my Italian one to someone who can read Italian!!!
I can see myself spending a lot of time on Google translate  :)

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 02:10:16 PM »
Hopefully there'll be enough interest that a US publisher (or maybe John Neal Books) will pick it up and do an English translation. It has happened to many non-English calligraphy books, so hopefully this one will be, too!

Thanks for the in-depth review, Stefanie!

btw speaking of Brush Lettering books - I have this on my wishlist and it looks pretty good - maybe Santa will get it for me.  ;D

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »
Oh stop it!!!!
One day I'll take a pic of all my books and upload it here.

Offline Des

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • FolklorePH Prints
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 04:40:33 AM »
Hi Estefa, does the book actually ship from Germany, thinking of getting one and have it sent to my friend in Germany

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
Hi Des, sorry, I saw your question just now. Honestly I don't know, but I think I paid no shipping costs, as this is the policy at Amazon for books … so I think this should work. Just make sure you use Amazon.de! Hope that helps!

Offline chiarag

• View Profile
Re: 'Corso di calligrafía' by Barbara Calzolari and Alessandro Salice
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
I bought this Book and I am really excited about it because it was written by 2 Ita persons who inspired me a lot about calligraphy.
I Have some calligraphy books translated in Italian but finally I got one in my mother tongue language
It IS a journey from pencil to brush pen.
Alessandro Salice studies history of calligraphy and in particular the application of calligraphy in every day life. I appreciate the introduction because he paves The ground before the practice.
Barbara Calzolari is one of the most relevant calligrapher WE have in Italy and she organizes workshops also abroad. I can't wait to attend one of her lessons!

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
Barbara Calzolari and Alessandro Salice linked this post on her Facebook page and said the book has been translated to English and will go on sale soon.  Yipee!

I can't copy and paste the link on my phone right now, but check out her Facebook page to see the info she posted.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:12:38 PM by Meredith S »

Offline Gioia De Antoniis

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Posta Via Gufo
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
I was coming home after a failed shopping session when I saw this book on the window of a store... I bought it without esitation, since it's rare to find something like this on my little town. (I'm Italian)

I already knew Barbara Calzolari and her works and I love this book!
It's simple yet very interesting, especially the part about brush lettering. The brush pen is really nice, smaller than the Pentel fude pen and easier (at least for me) to use.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
Pre-order through John Neal Bookseller for this book translated to English is located at this link http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=b4023

It will ship Summer 2015. Can't wait! Oh and free media mail shipping too for pre-orders. Bonus
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 06:37:09 PM by AmyNeub »