Author Topic: Tips for the letter s  (Read 1212 times)

Offline saulyleeplans

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Tips for the letter s
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:57:41 PM »
Hi,
I'm practising foundational hand and I'm really having problems with my s's.  Has anyone got any tips?

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for the letter s
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
The letter s is notoriously tricky. Start with the central diagonal which *almost* becomes horizontal in the center. Then add the top and then bottom.

I am showing you two variations here. The top David Harris version is based on the Edward Johnston style which some say was closer to a Gothic hand. The bottom Gaye Godfried-Nicholls version is closer to the Ramsey Psalter style which is based on the original English Caroline minuscule (they both are just slightly different variations).

Since the letters are upright and straightforward, good spacing is essential. The spacing on my second variation is much too wide. You seem to have a very good aptitude for spacing!

I hope that helps. (It's been a long time since I did broad pen work so it was fun to play.)  ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 09:30:58 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline RD5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
It looks like your s is too short. The most difficult part of the s is the middle stroke, so it is important to focus on getting that right.

Offline saulyleeplans

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
Thank you Erica and RD5.  I find the most difficult is the middle stroke where i should start it at the top, I always start too high I just can't get my head/hand around it.