Author Topic: Indianapolis  (Read 9728 times)

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• yogini, calligraphiste*
    • View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
Indianapolis
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:51:24 AM »
So.... Next year's IAMPETH convention is going to be in Indy!  I might actually be able to go, since I could roll that into a trip home to Michigan (for which I am overdue, by the way).  This would be my first convention of any kind.  Is anybody else going?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Indianapolis
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
Hmmm... what month is that? I may have to try to go. I wonder if I could drive there (I have a thing about not flying without my kids!). I was so tempted when I saw the Conference was going to be in TX this year but we are going to be in LA and then touring CA!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Joy I am in Michigan so I could easily travel to Indy. I will have to look into it and see. What part of Michigan are you from?

Ellen

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:48:08 AM »
Hi Ellen,

I'm from a small town called North Branch.  Near Lapeer.  About an 45 minutes from Flint and an hour North of Detroit.  What about you?  I've noticed quite a few Michiganders among the calligraphy people I've been meeting online!

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi Joy....I'm from Williamston. Between East Lansing and Brighton. Since I really am just starting out with calligraphy I haven't yet met anyone local so I'd love to find these Michiganders of which you speak! The guilds are a bit overwhelming as they are really geared toward the very experienced so it will be a while before I have enough confidence to join. IAMPETH will be my goal for next year!

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08:22 AM »
Well, there's Harvest Crittenden of course!  And a new FB calligraphy friend is a Michigan native, though she's in Napa now, Jp Panter.  Erica sent me a link to the website of another Michigan calligrapher, Taylor Barton of "t.ink cursive".  And Molly Jacques, she's from MI too. 

I don't think you should be shy to join a guild!  Calligraphy people are so welcoming and generous.  I think it's right now, at the very beginning, that good help and instruction are indispensable!  I am completely self-taught (though I took one lettering class from Harvest online, this year).  I would have LOVED to be able to join a guild and participate in classes. 

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
I think I'm going to go ahead and take the I Still Love Calligraphy course. I need help! I spent the morning practicing for a quote I wanted to do but once I wrote it over a couple dozen times, I trashed it. It just isn't coming together for me. I try to practice every day for a couple of hours, and have been doing so the past month or so. I just want to see some progress before I decide calligraphy isn't really for me after all. I'm trying not to be impatient and realize this takes lots and lots of practice but I just need a sign, other than my desire, that I can do this! Some people appear just to put pen to paper and a masterpiece is born! How did you all know you were good?

Ellen

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
Ellen,

What learning resources are you using?  Like tons of other people, I used Eleanor Winters' 'Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy' book, and it's a very good one for a strong foundation in the basics.  I also recommend Harvest Crittenden's classes; she's a great teacher.  I loved her English Roundhand class.  I think a person needs to train the eye even before the hand... 

As for the second part of your question-- no one ever thinks they are good!  LOL.  I'm SUPER critical of my own stuff and FORCE myself to leave some photos and content up on my website, though within a week of posting anything I've usually decided it's hopelessly amateurish and needs to come down...  ;)  I think you have more cause to worry about your skill if you're unreasonably confident and decide to ditch the study just to come up with your 'own personal style'...  This (usually) doesn't work, as the aesthetics and foundations are clearly missing...

Don't give up!  Why not check out Acorn Arts (Harvest Crittenden), for online classes?  You won't be disappointed.

bises
Joy

Offline Jane Farr

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
I live in Indy and am very excited IAMPETH will be here next August. If you are not currently members of IAMPETH, then I encourage you to join now. (annual dues run from July through June, so it makes sense to join asap).  I hope to meet you face-to-face next August!
Jane Farr
carmelscribe

Offline ewigginton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »
Joy, I am using Modern Calligraphy by Molly Suber Thorpe, Calligraphy in 24 hrs by Veiko Kespersaks and have taken Molly Jacques online class, The Art of Modern Calligraphy. I try to read as many blogs as I can find, and of course, the online forums are  a great resource. I looked at Harvest's class list and there doesn't appear to be anything for the beginner right now.

I appreciate your advice and I'm ordering the Winters book right this minute!

Thanks again,

Ellen

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 06:00:37 AM »
Cool, Jane!  I'm really looking forward to it.  Love your work!

Offline FrenchBlue Joy

• View Profile
    • Studio French Blue
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:03:50 AM »
That's great, Ellen!  If I were you I'd concentrate on the classic letterforms for now.  They have a rhyme and reason, if you know what I mean.  When you become capable of producing those with any consistency, you'll know you've acquired some technique and muscle memory.  :)

Offline Eileen

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
Hello, all! I'm planning to attend the IAMPETH convention next year. I missed this year's as I was in the middle of moving, so I'm really looking forward to 2014!
Eileen

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:56 PM »
I'm definitely going too :) Hope to see you all there.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline wtienken

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
What happens at the conference?  And how good do you have to be to go?