Author Topic: Seventeenth Century Will  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
Seventeenth Century Will
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:59:39 AM »
Many years ago, as part of my research into my family history, I found a copy of the seventeenth century will of my six-
times great grandfather. As I found most of it very difficult to read, I employed a genealogist to supply a typewritten transcript which I subsequently wrote out in Italic. (I was interested to note that my handwriting hasn't changed over the intervening thirty years!)
I am posting it here as others might find the considerable difference in styles to be of some interest.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Seventeenth Century Will
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:23 PM »
Oh this is so fascinating Ken! Thank you for sharing with us!

P.S. My 6th great grandmother was also Princess Diana’s 7th great grandmother!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Dries

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
Sir, you a truly a master.

It was also interesting to note the slight variation of the spelling of the father's and his sons' surnames.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 09:13:32 AM »
Oooh I love this, @Ken Fraser ! It's Secretary Hand, right?? It was one of the styles that first drew me to calligraphy. I enjoy this mix of everyday handwriting and calligraphic elements.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 07:39:24 AM »

It was also interesting to note the slight variation of the spelling of the father's and his sons' surnames.

It amuses me that  so many people insist that a particular spelling of their second name is "right."  :o
In fact, a few centuries ago, illiteracy was commonplace and formal documents were often completed by the local clergyman

I've even  seen an early birth certificate where different spellings of the  common surname between  the father and newly-born son were recorded!