Author Topic: Did vintage nib boxes came with samples?  (Read 606 times)

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
Did vintage nib boxes came with samples?
« on: March 18, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »
Hi everyone!!

I have recently purchased a Perry & co 120EF vintage box and it came in the mail with a nice surprise. Inside the box (that was already opened) were the hundred nibs the seller promised and a different one attached to a small carton which seems like a sample. I have never seen anything like it in other boxes. I have found small papers with information on different nibs inside closed boxes before, but never an actual nib. Do you know if Perry included this samples in their boxes? Or maybe it just was stored there by a previous owner?
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline melanie jane

• View Profile
    • English Pen Crafts
Re: Did vintage nib boxes came with samples?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 07:50:48 PM »
Yes, the Perry 120 always seems to come with a sample nib on that little card.  I can’t remember any of their other boxes including samples, but I could be wrong.  However, I think the 120 box is probably the only box with the room to put a sample in, so that may be why.
Permanently distracted making penholders

English Pen Crafts  Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 12:58:42 PM »
I have never seen that before!  Nifty.  What's the Perry 120 like?  I have never used one.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 03:43:02 PM »
Very cool! It's like an extra prize from the gumball machine!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 06:32:21 AM »
That's very cute! I've only seen sample boxes so far – or a box with just about 10 nibs inside. It was tiny (and very cute). I actually gave it away though ;).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »
Yes, the Perry 120 always seems to come with a sample nib on that little card.  I can’t remember any of their other boxes including samples, but I could be wrong.  However, I think the 120 box is probably the only box with the room to put a sample in, so that may be why.

Truth is the box is quite big! Thank you for your answer, Melanie!

I have never seen that before!  Nifty.  What's the Perry 120 like?  I have never used one.

It is very very fine. Not the softest, it is kind of hard. But has enough flexibility for an elegant copperplate. By elegant I mean: very fine upstrokes, not too thick downstrokes, nice contrast between thin and thick strokes, but an overall look of tall and thin letters.

Very cool! It's like an extra prize from the gumball machine!

Yes! I kinda got more excited about it than about the nibs I actually had bought!  ;D

That's very cute! I've only seen sample boxes so far – or a box with just about 10 nibs inside. It was tiny (and very cute). I actually gave it away though ;).

Oh! That's tiny! Didn't know those existed! I have some little plastic boxes with 10-12 nibs from Blanzy (I think), but plastic is so less cute!
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals