Author Topic: Shades & Hairlines - Zebra G vs Leonardt Principal EF  (Read 847 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Shades & Hairlines - Zebra G vs Leonardt Principal EF
« on: May 25, 2021, 08:45:52 PM »
Just some straight basic Engrosser's Script to show the difference between these two nibs. You can definitely get a nice hairline with a G nib. It's just you can get a much finer line with a Leonardt Principal EF. But it's easy to see the difference when comparing them together. I still stand by Nikko G and Zebra G nibs as great workhorse nibs capable of producing both nice shades and fine hairlines. I do not even need to apply much pressure for the shades.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Shades & Hairlines - Zebra G vs Leonardt Principal EF
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
Click on it to see it in better focus.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 07:59:50 AM »
Two beautiful examples of Engrsser's script.

In Joyce Irene Whalley's  book "The Art of Calligraphy" there appears a complete page of exceptionally, beautifully constructed copperplate by Duncan Smith dating from 1794.
The only drawback is the very fine hairlines, which are difficult to see and actually disappear in places. She accompanies this example with the following :-
"The illustration shows the weakness  inherent in this style of writing, with its tendency to undue emphasis on the contrast between the thick and thin strokes. Carried to excess, it could make the writing almost illegible."

I tend to agree with this. In some quarters, great emphasis is placed on producing the finest possible hairlines. I much prefer the first example with a nice balance between the strokes. Not only is it much easier to read, it could easily be copied without image loss. I once downloaded some interesting material from the IAMPETH site and ended up throwing it out,  because throughout, the hairlines had virtually disappeared making it illegible and pointless. The contrast between the weighted strokes and the hairlines contributes greatly to the beauty of Engrosser's and Copperplate scripts but it's so easy to overdo it, and end up producing illegibility. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 02:17:47 AM »
Thank you Ken! Very good point regarding legibility and especially when done for reproduction. Good to keep in mind for future work.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram