Author Topic: Mailing place cards done with Pearl-Ex  (Read 561 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Mailing place cards done with Pearl-Ex
« on: April 02, 2022, 12:21:06 PM »
Hi!  I’m looking for some advice here!  I have calligraphed some place cards & need to mail them to the client. (24 total place cards.). I used Pearl-Ex ink, so the lettering is raised, above the surface of the paper. I took one & threw it in my purse, with the intention to take it to my office & explore my mailing options. (I was thinking that a bubble envelope would be suitable.). I’ll admit that my purse is a hot mess, with WAY too much stuff in it. When I remembered the place card & pulled it out, I discovered that it looked worn, with the raised ink a bit smeared. Very shabby looking!  I’ve redone the place card, but am now afraid of mailing them to the client!  (The client is 9 hours away by car, so hand-delivery is not an option!). What do you think might best protect them? I’m thinking about going to Hobby Lobby & getting a small jewelry presentation box that’s just a bit bigger than the cards? Putting that soft cotton “stuffing” stuff that you see in jewelry presentation boxes inside? (WHERE in the store is that stuff?). Maybe adding vellum as a “buffer” between the cards??  Or, do you have a better idea??  I’ll just die if they show up smeared or shabby looking! What do you think?  Any ideas are welcomed!

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Mailing place cards done with Pearl-Ex
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 02:31:10 PM »
Oh boy. I have seen that happen with Pearl Ex. It’s like it needs a little extra Gum Arabic. At the least, I would place a piece of tissue paper in between each card. It might be worth it, since there are only 24 cards, to get the thin cushion sheets they sell for shipping dinner plates and cutting pieces to size to go over each place card. I believe they sell it at Walmart and HomeDepot.

Try a couple scrap samples with just a sheet of tissue between each (weight it with a few heavy books for an hour) and see if it does any damage. Otherwise, that may be overkill and just placing a tissue paper sheet between each one and mailing them in a box should be sufficient. I always used the tissue paper sheets between pieces when doing invitations.

They used to do that to protect engraving from flattening out when shipped. That is why invitations were mailed with a tissue on top. Many people don’t know where that tradition came from.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 03:03:10 PM »
@Erica McPhee  Brilliant suggestions!  Hobby Lobby actually sells the invitation tissues in the make-it-yourself invitation section. I’ve had many brides insist on having the tissues!  They don’t know WHY they go inside invitations, but they have seen them there & they want them, too!  I’m going to run to Bed, Bath & Beyond for some China separators. I think they have both the felt ones and the foam-like ones!  I’d like the foam ones, if I can find them!  I’m going to add more gum Arabic to my mix & make another to experiment with!  I’ll report back!  Thanks much for your help!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 11:33:47 PM »
So glad to help! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.   :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 08:18:51 AM »
I would not use tissue paper - it could stick to the ink.
Cut rectangles of waxed paper - it won't stick
or
if you have glassine paper - that is ideal.
The USPS has glassine envelopes that they put your stamps in when you buy them at the post office.
I always save them and use them for *release paper* - that's the term used in bookbinding
when you are gluing and pressing - and want to make sure that any stray bits of glue will not stick to the wrong thing.

The inner bags of non-sugar cereal (like Cheerios) are also wonderful for *release paper*

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 08:28:01 AM »
Slip sheet
is the term for paper that is put between items to prevent the ink from *offsetting*

The slip sheets that were used on engraved invitations were to prevent offsetting - and were meant to be discarded.
But - people started including them - and then it became a tradition to have them -
even when the invitations were not engraved.
Thermography - which was a less expensive imitation of engraving layered an embossing powder on the ink
and then the invitations were exposed to heat - which *melted* the powder -
so there was never going to be any offsetting of the ink.
Slip sheets between thermography is silly.

Letterpress printers might have to use slip sheets.
And sadly -- there are some disasters where the *ink* in digital printing does not stick to the paper.
One of my worst disasters ever - was using Crane's paper - that was specifically for digital printing
on an insert - inside a very expensive holiday card - also by Crane's.
When the cards went through the cancelling machines at the PO - the pressure at the top of the envelop
caused the ink on the insert to offset --
the client was not upset with me -- but - it made me very hesitant to trust any papers.

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
@jeanwilson :  oh, my gosh!! What a nightmare!  I think I might have PTSD after that!! I avoid Cranes whenever I can! (Crane Lettra is my arch enemy!  I’ll hate it until I die!).  I strongly preferred Arthur Court, but Cranes closed them down in 2021. I’m now looking for a new favorite brand!  I put slip sheets with thermography invitations. Yes, I agree that it’s silly & unnecessary. Probably ridiculous. But, I see it as stylish. (Is that just me?). It just makes me happy!  Thermography makes pretty invitations available to budget brides & there is a place in the bigger world for that!  Maybe I’m just wired to support the underdog! 😃

Janis

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 08:34:28 PM »
I’m with you Janis, I like the look of the “slip sheet” even if it doesn’t serve the original purpose. Practical purpose aside, it lends an elegance to  one of the most special pieces of mail one may ever send.  I used them with every kind of printing - even thermography - which after all was supposed to mimic engraving so why not carry the illusion all the way.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:49:54 AM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram