Author Topic: Day 15 - 2023: Dagger  (Read 317 times)

Offline K-2

• View Profile
Day 15 - 2023: Dagger
« on: October 16, 2023, 01:06:58 AM »
@Lucie Y - Congratulations on the success of your workshop! I hope you keep teaching; you clearly have so much to offer! I like those s's on Cislak's insta - it's a really clean italic with some of those "Johnston" hairlines. I'm sure you'll present the piece beautifully, with or without a border.

@Erica McPhee - My best wishes for your son's quick and thorough recovery! My oldest son had three of his fingers smashed in a door (on the hinge side!) when he was around 4. He needed pretty extensive surgery and months of rehab, but he went on to a long and successful stint as a classical pianist and cellist in the regional youth symphony, and is now in college, playing guitar too. I hope for as successful an outcome for yours! At any rate - don't let the doctors tell you "never again!. The celebrated violinist, Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, once cut off her pinky finger chopping onions! It was surgically reattached, and while it healed, she re-fingered the compositions so that she could persist in her concert career.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts about my "Castle"!

Here's "Dagger" for me, with another synonym replacement: Knife for Dagger - so that I could get a K for my alphabet.
* and @Matthew H. - by way of encouragement, I'd like to point out that I had a wee bit of blobbing at the bottom of the "e" in Knife, and it kind of spoils the piece, but also it doesn't really. And I think that everyone was so nice about my failed "Rise" - and you yourself said you liked it, even though I didn't. So in that context "perfect" doesn't really matter.

I always tell my students: If you're not failing from time to time, you're not trying hard enough.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 01:11:45 AM by K-2 »

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
Re: Day 15 - 2023: Dagger
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 06:37:53 AM »
Lucie Y and K-2, so glad your teaching etc went well.

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 05:52:39 PM »
Here's "Dagger" for me, with another synonym replacement: Knife for Dagger - so that I could get a K for my alphabet.
* and @Matthew H. - by way of encouragement, I'd like to point out that I had a wee bit of blobbing at the bottom of the "e" in Knife, and it kind of spoils the piece, but also it doesn't really. And I think that everyone was so nice about my failed "Rise" - and you yourself said you liked it, even though I didn't. So in that context "perfect" doesn't really matter.

I always tell my students: If you're not failing from time to time, you're not trying hard enough.

I have to admit, I was so busy admiring your work that I hadn't noticed what you said about the letter E! (I really like what you've done with the shimmer effect on the handle. And I always have time for uncial. :D)

I hope I'll someday learn the lesson that there are things we notice in our own calligraphy that may not bother (or even necessarily be spotted by) others.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 06:03:35 PM by Matthew H. »

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »

That is so true.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 03:00:32 PM »
Thank you so much @K-2 ! I shared the story with him and he was very chipper about it. Loved the dagger as well! He’s a bit of a medieval knife/sword lover. That is how he broke his pinky finger - sword fighting with long swords. He participates in HEMA (Historical European Martial Arts). The other guy got a bit over zealous with that sword.

Thanks @Matthew H. as well for the well wishes. It went fabulous. We do homeopathy at our house (I am a homeopath) and he required no medications, had zero pain. Can’t ask for more than that!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2023, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks @Matthew H. as well for the well wishes. It went fabulous. We do homeopathy at our house (I am a homeopath) and he required no medications, had zero pain. Can’t ask for more than that!

Oh, what fantastic news! I'm so pleased for you both.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 04:59:37 PM »
@Erica  McPhee Ohhhh Erica this is such good news! I am so happy to read this  :) :) :)

@K2 thank you for your kind words. I was quite nervous to teach. It is usually frowned upon when beginners teach... but I work in a field in which everyone teaches whoever is less experimented than them.

Also, I adore that knife shaped K, coolest thing I've seen in a while!
Oh crêpe!

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 08:50:15 AM »
I am catching up my days .

Inktomber23
Day  15- Dragger.
Snoopy on the Apache  Land  ;D
Pen Oblique  Pen = Vintage  fine nib and Walnut Ink.