Author Topic: Next step in learning Engrosser's script  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
Next step in learning Engrosser's script
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
I have been trying to learn Engrosser's script for a while now.   Whilst not having mastered the letters I am pretty good with all the capitals and lower case. So what is the next steps.  Is to learn writing words instead of letters. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Offline KathySaunders

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Artful Celebrations
Re: Next step in learning Engrosser's script
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
I'm not sure what books or lessons you have been using for study, but you might want to check out Joe Vitolo's free book about learning Engrosser's Script here:
[https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/script-in-copperplate-style/id547108521?ls=1]

If you don't use a Mac or ipad, here is a pdf of te same thing, but it's not interactive:
[http://www.zanerian.com/VitoloCopperplateBook2015.pdf]

In addition, here are several links to more lessons in Engrosser's Script by the old masters.
[http://www.zanerian.com/Lessons.html]

I hope that helps!
Kathy

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:49:09 PM »
Check Joe's website as well http://www.zanerian.com

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »
For me, once I got a hang of what the letters should look like and the basics of forming the letters, 

I moved on to writing a few words and phrases.  Now I choose an exemplar that I like and dissect each letter and try to see how they have been formed.  Like where the swell starts, where it turns for the up or down stroke, width of the letters and so on. 

For practise, I now write out greetings and wishes for B'days and anniversaries for friends and family and send pictures of that by email or texts to them instead of typing.  Makes a huge difference when they receive a hand written message instead of a typed one. :)

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Sheehan1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
Thanks all for your quick response.  I also sent a facebook message to Dr. Vitolo and he is always quick to respond.  He told me to just start writing words and concentrate on the connecting hairlines and concentrate on obtaining symmetry

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 02:37:18 AM »
It has been a while since this was posted. I am just wandering around the forum and thought I'd leave a response if anyone else comes across this...just my take:

Once you have an understanding of the letters both large and small, your work is only partially done. Each letter can be augmented depending on how it connects to and from others before and after it. These permutations are something worth considering as you develop your hand on the smaller letters, because you will quickly identify combinations that are difficult and/or commonly used. This expands your toolbelt exponentially.

By digging into this type of work, you quickly realize that there are quite a few consistencies in the ways that letters are spaced. lateral spacing in ES can be thought of as inner-letter, inter-letter, and inter-word. If you are practicing and studying the functions of letter combinations and permutations you are learning words. The two are the same.

The idea that writing words teaches you HOW to write words is flawed, in my opinion. What teaches you HOW to write words is an intimate understanding of inner and inter-letter spacings.

I call these spacings 'Intervals' and have a rich curriculum built around them in Dreaming In Script. Check it out if you're interested in learning more.

www.dreaminginscript.com

David Grimes — Penman

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:39:35 PM »
Great advice from David Grimes. The inter-letter and inter-word spacing is just as important as the letters themselves.