Author Topic: Can't read french but interesting: Recueil Méthodique de Principes d' Ecriture  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Scap

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
I am not sure this belongs here, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

Being a beginner and coming from a technical background I need to wrap my head around mechanical proportions first to really understand a letterform before I can write/draw it (I know this is going to break my neck when it comes to flourishing). I have found it difficult to get a good grip on some Copperplate letters for that specific reason as most are just a sample to be copied until the desired look is achieved.

However I stumbled onto this book:

https://archive.org/details/RecueilMethodiqueDePrincipesDEcriture

Based on my limited knowledge it is a distant cursive cousin to Copperplate with an angle of just over 56 degrees but I really like how the letter proportions are shown. Too bad it is all in French which I can only read about 0% of.

Is there a Copperplate resource that has similar proportion diagrams?

Steffen
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:22:46 PM by Scap »

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Thanks for sharing this link!  A nice reference!   (I speak French, and everything here is presented visually so no real need for reading the text)

Is there a Copperplate resource that has similar proportion diagrams?
Steffen
I've never seen a copperplate one like this, and I'm looking forward to any positive replies from anyone out there.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Yes, I've often wondered why other books don't set things out in as lucid a fashion as the Receuil Methodique.

If you have a technical turn of mind, you might find Foster's Practical Penmanship useful, although the nitty gritty is in the text.  You'll find plenty of angles, ratios and proportions anyway.  I also think that as copperplate exemplars go, it's an elegant one.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
this is excellent instruction and exemplars...it's what i used and continue to use to study from.  Dr. Joe Vitolo told me it's pretty much like the French version of the Zanerian Manual.  Considering it's free, take advantage of it and STUDY it, the shapes it diagrams are excellent and will give you a solid foundation to your calligraphy journey.  It's classic, elegant, and beautiful, something I strive for in my own style and I constantly refer back to this, to clean up my script and gain inspiration.

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile

However I stumbled onto this book:

https://archive.org/details/RecueilMethodiqueDePrincipesDEcriture

Steffen
[/quote]

Wow!!! What an AMAZING SITE!! So Many Penmanship Books!! Glorious!! If Only there were 35 hours in the day!!!

Offline valerie a.

• Freshman Member
  • Frenchie.Leftie.Translator & Jewelry artist
    • View Profile
I hadn't seen this topic but... 1)i have this book 2)i do read French  ;) and 3) i can show/translate some pages if someone would need more info. Just ask!  ;D

ETA: Thanks Joi for your thoughts about this book!  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 06:21:00 AM by valerie a. »
My other IG account: @lune_hiver
Twitter/Periscope: @ferrogallique

Offline Tasmith

• View Profile
    • Todd A. Smith Photography, LLC
Thanks for sharing!  I now have this on my tablet for reference!
Todd