Author Topic: Square cutoff.  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile
    • The graphic design of Christian Bélanger.
Re: Square cutoff.
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
Thanks Erica ;)

OK. So here I go again...

Figure C
In this picture, the pen is angled with the slant line (as shown in figure C):

As you can see, when I press on the pen, the nib opens up diagonally to the header, which in my opinion, is physically normal.

Here is the result of a really quick practice using that angle:

The red lines show that the cutoffs are in fact in a diagonal. Also, please note that writing that particular way is really (I mean really) hard for me: it makes my fingers and wirst contort in a really uncomfortable and unnatural way, it makes me shake, and it also makes my nib skip on the paper pretty much everytime I do upstrokes (no matter the paper angle).

Figure B
Here the pen is perpendicular to the header (as shown in figure B):

As you can see, when I press on the pen, the nib opens up straight with the header, which, again, in my opinion, is physically normal.

Here is the result of a really quick practice using that angle:

The red lines show that the cutoffs are in fact straight with the header/baseline. Also, please note that writing that particular way feels really natural to me. Yes, the nib does skip on the upstrokes, but less.

The thing is... The right sides of the shades are obviously ragged!

This really feels like a never ending story!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:32:05 PM by Chris »
Christian Bélanger
Graphic design college teacher, musician and apprentice calligrapher.
My Calligraphy on Flickr + My Calligraphy on Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 07:57:47 PM »
It really has to do with practicing with the nib angle matching the guides, mostly to learn how to properly split the tines. Your last example (the rag on the right side) is one of the reasons why oblique holders exist  ;)

This one really takes practice. Btw I really enjoy your analysis of the whole process.

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 09:18:06 PM »
First, I would recommend getting a metal flanged oblique holder. The give on the plastic obliques is nil. I think you will find that little bit of extra give makes a difference in terms of the balance in the pressure you apply.

Second, the difference between your first and second photo is dramatic in terms of how you are holding your hand. Do the exercise at the beginning of the video where you close your eyes and put your hand down as you normally would go to write. Then without moving your hand, turn the paper until the slant line is lined up with your pen point. This way your hand position is comfortable and you're on the proper angle.

Third, the difference between the point position in the first and second photo, regardless of your hand position, is a very subtle shift in your thumb and index finger.

Other than that, it is just a matter of practice.  :) 
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 07:08:12 PM »
Thanks again Erica!

I guess I will order a metal flanged oblique holder online ;)

Concerning your observations on my hand: I took the previous pictures only to show you the nib according to the straight vs. diagonal edge, and how it seemed logical to me that a straight cutoff is only physically possible using the figure B position (I also wanted the paper to be straight and aligned to the photo's frame).

So here are new photos showing you how I really position my hand and paper...

As in figure C

As in figure B

I'm starting to feel I really don't understand anything, because in your video "Practicing with Precision", you seem (I say "seem", because, as I said, I'm starting to think I'm confusing everything!) to be working according to figure B. Here are a few screeshots (the red lines represent your pen angle vs. the slant lines on your sheet):

Christian Bélanger

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
 :o OK, my head is spinning. You are way over thinking this. Look at your pen angle/position in your first image, "As in figure C." This is how you naturally hold your pen (I assume). Now, when holding your pen at this angle, do not move your hand, but slightly rotate your pen (that movement I showed in the video) with just your thumb and index finger. It is a *very* subtle movement. And you can then align the right flange properly so that when you put it to paper, both tines touch the paper evenly. In the photo, you can see, the right tine will touch before the left causing the diagonal top. (The right tine is *below* the left - it needs to be even.) Just a subtle rolling of your thumb and index will give you the right angle.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 12:47:53 AM »
Let me give this a try using Dr. Joe's lessons.

I've taken his digital guide and removed some of the guide colors and added some arrows and gradients :P Once I finally realized what he was doing it became easier to try and practice (which unfortunately I havent had the time to and this definitely takes a lot of practice to master as a single stroke.)

The screen-grabs of his video represent the three steps in the guide.

[Images removed for copyright and forum rule violation.]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:26:17 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:53 PM »
Thanks again everyone! You are amazing! Thanks for taking the time!

That's it! I won't bother you with this anymore!

:-X  ;)
Christian Bélanger