Author Topic: P for poo poo  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
P for poo poo
« on: July 29, 2020, 05:45:20 PM »
I view Dr. V's work and I consult the manual for the course I am taking before attempting my letters.  I am also working to learn how to honestly evaluate my work.  Have been told that is THE best way to learn this.  Sometimes it is hard to walk the line of keeping it real and staying encouraged. 

This drill I was trying to evaluate why my P's are all wrong.  So, I did another sheet.  I am thinking at this point IF I continued practicing this "P" for another 1,000 sheets it would not improve. [shrug shoulder emoji inserted here].
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
Re: P for poo poo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 05:49:23 PM »
Here is my second drill sheet "P" for today.

My question is:  How does one know when to keep it moving versus going over a letter/concept until . . . . until what.  I am told there is no such thing as perfect.   If I asked 10 people what is good enough I could very well get 10 different responses (maybe ???).

The course I am taking is winding down.  We are working through the majuscules.  Final homework is due 8/2.  My plan was to do about three letters per day and at the end a day of review and then last day turn in homework.  Well, so far I have done "A, N, I, J, and now P.  Just found out the "A" sucks because I do not have shade on the cross part like Dr. V.  Ay yi yi.  Had I stayed on the "A", I would not complete the course on time.  I moved on figuring, "Hey, I am not going to get this perfect anyway".  Those words I read somewhere.

I want to be honest with self; but I do not want to discourage myself to defeat.  How do I get a balance?
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline InkyFingers

• All creations not equal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
A word of encouragement:  You are doing wonderful and progressing beautifully.

What you are discouraging is the ability to see the flaws in your writing.  This is of course means that you should be encouraging instead.  You have learned to decipher what looks write and what is needed to improve.

I think your letter forms are so inspiring...

If you are being real critical of yourself.  That's great!  You are a perfectionist.  Congratulation!

What helped me to improve is getting consistence with my ovals and push-pull.  I'll bet that if you just do drills for the very basic needs of the letter forms (ovals & push-pull), you'll see improvement that is on another scale.

Here's a challenge: SHOW me your ovals & push pull drill!

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »
A word of encouragement:  You are doing wonderful and progressing beautifully.

What you are discouraging is the ability to see the flaws in your writing.  This is of course means that you should be encouraging instead.  You have learned to decipher what looks write and what is needed to improve.

I think your letter forms are so inspiring...

If you are being real critical of yourself.  That's great!  You are a perfectionist.  Congratulation!

What helped me to improve is getting consistence with my ovals and push-pull.  I'll bet that if you just do drills for the very basic needs of the letter forms (ovals & push-pull), you'll see improvement that is on another scale.

For some reason I feel doing them is worthwhile just because you asked me to do them. I'm looking forward to this you're on! And thank you so much for caring enough to tell me to do this. I'm going to start it tomorrow after a good night's rest.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 11:56:18 PM »
You might find this thread of interest. The difference after doing a couple drills.

And... even looking at this now, I can see letters I can improve upon. Remember calligraphy is a lifelong pursuit. There is no finish line. You have to give yourself a break. And yes, don’t get stuck on just capital A. Try to group the letters together that have a common stroke and practice them together. Commit to two lines of A and then you go to two lines of N. Whatever it may be.

Also, if you are really struggling to “see” what is needing attention, cut a small rectangle out of a piece of paper. Place it over your letter so you can break down each stroke. Compare it to the examplar. Then you can see what needs work. For example, on this page, you have some really lovely entrance strokes to the top part of the P. But in others, they lose the oval shape. So take a few lines to just concentrate on that. Then move on.

Eventually, it starts to come together. You’re doing really well!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »
Gotcha @Erica McPhee .  Can do ☺.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline GrayStratCat

• Freshman Member
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
@lyric If I may, another thing I might add to all the very helpful info on this thread is make sure you don't have a death grip on your pen.  I sometimes find when my writing becomes something I don't recognize, I find I am gripping my pen with way too much pressure.  It also seems the worse my writing gets the harder I'm gripping my pen in angst, which only leads to even worse results.  Once I realize this and go back to a more relaxed grip things always improve.  You may not be doing this, but I just wanted to pass that along.  Keep up the practice!

Best,
GSC
“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.”

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »
@lyric If I may, another thing I might add to all the very helpful info on this thread is make sure you don't have a death grip on your pen.  I sometimes find when my writing becomes something I don't recognize, I find I am gripping my pen with way too much pressure.  It also seems the worse my writing gets the harder I'm gripping my pen in angst, which only leads to even worse results.  Once I realize this and go back to a more relaxed grip things always improve.  You may not be doing this, but I just wanted to pass that along.  Keep up the practice!

Best,
GSC4

Okau.  Will remember to.check that pulse point as well.  Thank you for saying so.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 10:52:13 AM »

Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Part I - push/pull
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 01:03:10 AM »
Those are awesome warm-up pieces.  Congratulation!

I remember the days when I spent many nights just doing drills...  Please remember these are just warm-ups, they help loosen your muscle and prepares you for to begin your practice.

https://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5837.0

However, it was intended for Spencerian.  I think it works well too with English RoundHands.  It gets the muscle to memorize the motions of emotions.... just ovals and push-pulls :D.

As you are learning to 'draw' the English Roundhands, your practice sheet should include a shaded practice of basic letter forms: Ovals, Universal Line of Beauty, Straight Lines, compound lines (as in n, m, u, i) etc...  Doing all these seems redundant and time consuming and most of all boring...however, if your practice is with mindfulness, you only to need to practice every few.

I am sure other folks here have better suggestions than mine's simple drills.

Thank you for taking the initiative to have fun!

God Bless

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 08:01:03 AM »
It gets the muscle to memorize the motions of emotions.... just ovals and push-pulls :D.

As you are learning to 'draw' the English Roundhands, your practice sheet should include a shaded practice of basic letter forms: Ovals, Universal Line of Beauty, Straight Lines, compound lines (as in n, m, u, i) etc...  Doing all these seems redundant and time consuming and most of all boring...however, if your practice is with mindfulness, you only to need to practice every few.

I am sure other folks here have better suggestions than mine's simple drills.

God Bless

Thank you so much for the instruction, encouragement, and especially the blessing.  :-*
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline InkyFingers

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »

I like to practice with my exemplar in my face!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 10:05:42 AM by InkyFingers »

Offline Ngaire_W

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 02:29:28 AM »
I think your 'P's are beautiful Lyric!

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 07:14:35 AM »
Awww, thank you Ngaire!  Encouragement is so nice.  ;D  When people take precious time and extend it . . . . WOW!
Cheerfully,
Lyric