Author Topic: Spencerian feedback + size question  (Read 704 times)

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Spencerian feedback + size question
« on: February 05, 2024, 04:42:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

Hope you are well! I recently started Spencerian and finally finished the lowercase letters yesterday!  ;D For today's practice, I tried some words. What do you think of it so far? I am mostly worried about my spacing and my 'n' connection in the words :(

Also, a quick question. What's the "most used" x height in spencerian? That one is 6mm. Is it a good one? For envelopes and artwork or I should go smaller?

Thank you in advance!   :*

Ps. The sure thing is I love it so much so far! I think I found my script 😍

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: Spencerian feedback + size question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:02:19 PM »
Hi,

I can't offer any advice, sorry, but I can tell you that your 'new calling' is very pretty.
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2024, 08:47:19 AM »
Hi,

I can't offer any advice, sorry, but I can tell you that your 'new calling' is very pretty.

Thanks a lot Mark! 💖 I still have a very long way to go, I am still in the very beginning of it, but I am loving it so far very, very much 😍 definitely worth all the time

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 12:34:59 PM »
Wow! Impressive! What I can tell from your example is that you really “see” the letterforms. This is a very big piece of learning a new hand so bravo! This is a good x- height to learn with and as you get more experienced, you will size down considerably. Next try 4 mm.

Michael G Ward had us practice at 3 mm once comfortable and Michael Sull’s advanced practice guides are 2 mm.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 01:54:13 PM »
Nicely done! You're a natural talent. And what a great feeling it is when first starting your calligraphy journey and finding your script. Your love of the letters will see you through many highs and lows. Keep at it and please keep sharing your progress. :)

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 04:17:07 PM »
Very nice! Glad you found something you like so much.

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2024, 10:27:03 AM »
@Erica McPhee @BrightStar @tiffany.c.a thank you all so so much for your kind words! Since my last post, I finished the uppercase and slowly started some more "fancy" practice😍 I'm kind of lost now with all the flourishing resources and Michael Sull and Harvest are not meant to teach anything "advanced" for this year (for now at least). So, I have to figure out a lot along the way, while continuing to stick into the basics to "make them mine", if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:34:53 AM by Despoina »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 01:12:27 PM »
Beautiful! Your progress is fabulous! I would recommend going through some of the archives at Rare Books at IAMPETH . You will find a huge range of Spencerian styles and things to practice!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 01:35:25 PM »
Terrific! That last one with the bird is so good. Love that orange ink, or is it gouache?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 01:48:10 PM »
This class with Harvest is recorded and you can watch until June. Spencerian Structures
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 02:47:17 PM »
@Erica McPhee thank you so much 🥺❤️ I will check the books out! Would you recommend me to pick one and practice it all and after pick another?
As for the class, I saw it, but I don't know if a Beginner's class will do the trick for me now😔 thinking that I have the basics, and with practice I will build the muscle memory needed. I was waiting for an advanced class, but it seems like it won't happen this year, unfortunately. What do you think on that?

@BrightStar thank you so much❤️❤️ It's an ink, the Vermillion ink by kuretake. It's sooo smooth to write with🥺

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2024, 03:50:48 PM »
I would choose one that resonates with you and then break it down trying to determine what it is about it that appeals to you. Then practice it and see what you would like to incorporate into your own style.

In terms of classes, for decades I have taken any and all classes in whatever style with a variety of teachers as I learn so many tidbits from each one. But classes are expensive and can add up so it’s best to select what seems like it will give you the most benefit. It’s a shame, I can’t find any advanced Spencerian classes for this year either. There is also the possibility of reaching out to one of your mentor’s and seeing if they offer private lessons.

I would also recommending watching Mike Ward (MGWard)’s videos on YouTube. He has practice sessions and they are so informative!
You will find a bunch of fabulous lessons on his website: MrMGWard.

Ornamental Penmanship seems the next step if you want to branch off into flourished Spencerian.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 02:32:25 AM »
I would choose one that resonates with you and then break it down trying to determine what it is about it that appeals to you. Then practice it and see what you would like to incorporate into your own style.

In terms of classes, for decades I have taken any and all classes in whatever style with a variety of teachers as I learn so many tidbits from each one. But classes are expensive and can add up so it’s best to select what seems like it will give you the most benefit. It’s a shame, I can’t find any advanced Spencerian classes for this year either. There is also the possibility of reaching out to one of your mentor’s and seeing if they offer private lessons.

I would also recommending watching Mike Ward (MGWard)’s videos on YouTube. He has practice sessions and they are so informative!
You will find a bunch of fabulous lessons on his website: MrMGWard.

Ornamental Penmanship seems the next step if you want to branch off into flourished Spencerian.  :)

I checked his YouTube, so many fabulous lessons! 😍 Wow

Ornamental penmanship is like the fancy version of spencerian, am I correct?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 10:17:25 AM »
Yes, you are correct. It varies the size, shade, and adds delicious flourishing!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram