General Categories > Tools & Supplies

My Favorite Nibs for Pointed Pen

(1/44) > >>

Erica McPhee:
I started off with the Hunt 101 and 103 when I learned spencerian and then copperplate in 1993. Then I scored a box of 100 vintage Hunt 56 nibs. Those nibs were a dream. Hardly any bad ones in the batch, they sailed across the page. I wish I had purchased all 4 of the boxes that were available then. But I couldn't possibly see myself going through 100 nibs. HA!

I could have used those boxes many times over. Now I use the newer nibs. My favorites are the Nikko G's for less bold, but sharp, smooth thicks and thins. If I want to do a little softer and bolder, I like the Hiro 41.

I recommend trying out a variety of nibs so you can find your favorites. These two nibs may not be your faves but they just sing for me. What are your faves?

NOTE: The Hiro 41 has had production problems recently. They seem to be better but take a little bit of wearing in.

FrenchBlue Joy:
I quite like the Zebra G, and I think it's a popular one.  A little more flexible than the Nikko, but I'm a fan of that one too.

Though for me it's very sharp, I'm getting used to the Leonardt Principal extra-fine too.  Nothing at all like those smooth, sturdy G series nibs, but I'm starting to love it for the very expressive thicks.  I'm becoming a little less heavy-handed than I used to be...

lisaridgely:
I started pointed pen with the Nikko G and Zebra G, and I have tried many nibs since! I have a pretty varied collection, but the one that I love and use by far the most is the Brause 511. It just suits my touch and style so well!

Erica McPhee:
Joy, I'm glad you said that... I found it the opposite with the Nikko and Zebra but maybe I mixed them up. I'll have to do a test again.

Lisa, I've never tried that one! I'm going to have to put it on my next order!

lisaridgely:
When I've compared the Nikko G and Zebra G, what I've found (and I'm sure this could be personal to my hand) is that the Zebra is sharper/more pointed, so it gives finer lines, while the Nikko is slightly more square-cut. I think the Zebra is just a bit more flexible, but it does seem to me, though, that the Nikko is more elastic/"snappier"...it seems to give a sharper transition from thick to thin, which I think could be attributed to being more elastic, or maybe to the slightly squarer cut? They are both so nice and smooth, though...it's amazing how fine they are while still being so smooth-writing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version