Author Topic: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder  (Read 37659 times)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Curv-E Holder - New Oblique Pen Holder
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »
@lyric  In the front section of Dr. Joe Vitolo's apple book to learn Engrosser's Script, he gives a detailed description of how to use a pair of rounded pliers to adjust your flange.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2021, 07:52:42 PM »
Yes, he does.  I'm 🐔.  Saw it last year I think.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2021, 11:06:44 AM »
LOL…same. I never change them.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2021, 08:16:20 AM »
@lyric  The Curv-E holders are the only pens I use now. I have not gone back to a round pen at all over the past two years. And I don’t ever plan to.  Edward has said the praise has been so great, they are now the only pens he makes. ;D

Hi Erica,

How many have you collected thus far?  Enjoying mine by the way.  Get this, my nib is SO tight in there I try to not remove it and thus have to be very careful when dipping in water to clean the nib. I manipulated with pliers ONCE.  Don't plan on doing it again.  Unable to replace this bad boy so working to leave well enough alone.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2021, 11:20:05 PM »
I’m sorry I never saw this @Lyric ! I think I have 5 so far. They are really the only pens I use now. I don’t like to take the nibs in or out either so I put different ones in each one.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2021, 01:11:53 AM »
I’m sorry I never saw this @Lyric ! I think I have 5 so far. They are really the only pens I use now. I don’t like to take the nibs in or out either so I put different ones in each one.  ;D

I would not mind a short handled one. Last I visited seems he is no longer making them kinda sorta.  There were none available.  But, it has been a while. I baby mine compared to the other holders.  They are in a cup when not in use.  My Curv-E is kinda in my way because I keep it sideways in the groove of my water cup which is on my desk.  The long pointy handle really gets in my way.  Would have purchased a short handle style IF he would have sold one.
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2021, 05:55:31 AM »
There are four available on his website (just looked), at the bottom of the page of for sale items. 

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
He took a brief break as he was studying fine art, I believe in Italy.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lyric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2024, 11:19:49 AM »

Personally, I do not think the average oblique holder is well adapted to script writing unless the top side is flattened so the forefinger can rest upon both the holder and the tin at the same time, thus overcoming the tendency to grip or turn. The triangular oblique holder is well adapted to engrossing script.

I have learned through experience that the nearer the point of the pen is grasped, the better control of the pen is the result. In writing Engraver’s script, I place my forefinger on the pen below the side piece of the oblique holder about half an inch from the point of the pen, which results in perfect control of my pen.

So I contacted Edward Curran @Edward , one of my favorite pen makers and told him I wanted a curvilateral pen - a somewhat triangular shape but with rounded edges for better comfort, a flat top, and a shallow bottom. I sent him some sketches and photographs of a model I made out of paper clay. After a few trials, Edward created what I think is the perfect holder for Copperplate, and especially flourished Copperplate.

We call it the Curv-E Holder - representing its curvilateral shape, Curran, and E for Erica and Edward.  ;D

I have been using it now for many months and will most likely never go back to a round holder. It allows a natural, comfortable tripod grip which helps me execute both muscular and whole arm movement - both of which facilitate better flourishing. I can glide my hand on either the side of my little finger or the finger nail, whichever feels more comfortable.

I'm sharing some photos below. Would love to hear your thoughts.  ;D

Those pens are GOOORGEOUS, Ms. Erica.  When I finally was able to order one, though lovely, it is not gooorgeous.  I was simply glad to get one in my hand.  Hmmm, I wonder if I would be able to find really pretty ones at this time?  8)
Cheerfully,
Lyric

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2024, 09:58:26 AM »
@Lyric - Edward is no longer making the pens. However my husband and I are making our version of the Curv-E. You can see more about them here: Curv-E Pens. We will have another batch released next Thursday in honor of Earth Day and then another batch for Mother’s Day with more pastels.  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2024, 05:31:51 PM »
I got mine (from Erica) some days ago and it is so beautiful and comfortable :)!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2024, 06:08:01 PM »
 Yay!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2024, 08:37:46 PM »
Out of curiosity - would you consider a customer colour request for an oblique, when you start another manufacturing run, if the pen was paid for fully in advance?

Mark
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2024, 10:35:18 PM »
Absolutely! Adam loves creating and crafting these pens and we aim to please! So if anyone wanted something custom, he could work within their budget.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram