Author Topic: Recommend Supplies for Beginners  (Read 78858 times)

Offline Cam N.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend Supplies for Beginners
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2015, 12:53:40 PM »
Hi Cam,
I think they are better but not like they were way back when. Perhaps they changed what they are using to coat them or something. I find I have to work hard to take the coating off. But then they work as they should.  :)

How can we tell if the coating is off? Is there a change in the physical appearance or we can just tell by the strokes that it makes?

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
Cam, if the oil is not off, you cannot keep ink on the nib. - It won't "gather" on the underside of the nib, above the tines & below the breather hole.  Instead, it will slide right off the nib.  It doesn't take much to get the oil off. - You can spit on it, if you don't mind that.  Or, dip the nip in rubbing alcohol & then rinse in running water.  You should be then good to go!  If you prep your nib BEFORE you insert it in the nib holder, then you may get more oil (from your fingers) on the nib, which will once again cause it to resist ink.  I use some small jewelry-making pliers to insert my nibs, so I keep my hands completely off of them after they are prepared.

Post back if you still have any questions!

Janis

Offline Sarah Foutz

• Write on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2015, 01:42:31 PM »
I use some small jewelry-making pliers to insert my nibs, so I keep my hands completely off of them after they are prepared.

Janis

I have some of those laying around, what a great idea, thanks!! (not to mention I'm always worried I'm going to seriously hurt myself one day if I keep using my fingers!)
Sarah Pearl Foutz
Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What! You, too? I thought I was the only one!" C.S. Lewis
http://instagram.com/sarahpearlstudio

Offline mgc213717

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »
Is there a classified section on this forum? I would love to purchase some used tools off someone's hands if anyone is looking to get rid of anything (i.e., half empty bottles of ink, etc).

Offline papercrew

• Freshman Member
  • www.papercrew.com
    • View Profile
    • Paper Crew
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 02:54:45 PM »
These are the beginning supplies I recommend. John Neal has it up on his site already here: Flourish Forum List.

Paper & Ink Arts is working on it. If you order from Paper & Ink Arts, it would be grand if you used my referral link: Paper & Ink Arts

From Paper & Ink Arts:

item # spdper - Oblique Red or Blue Peerless Holder
OR
item # peerls - Peerless Oblique Holder

item # walbot –Walnut Ink, 2.6 oz.
item # moonpa – Moon Palace Sumi Ink
item #drmbld – Dr. PH Martin’s bleedproof white (optional)

item # hiro41 – Hiro 41 nibs (5) Please note - we are currently seeing problems with this nib. Will update when it is resolved.)

item # nikkoG - Nikko G nibs (5)

item #dinkyd – Dinky Dips 4 square

The total cost is roughly $50 including the bleedproof white.

From John Neal:

H95. Speedball Deluxe (Comfort Grip) Oblique Pen Holders – sized for Nikko G.
OR
H96. Peerless Oblique Holders (Black Plastic) – sized for Nikko G

N113. Nikko G Nib (5)
N82. Hiro Crown Nib (#41)  (5) (Please note - we are currently seeing problems with this nib. Will update when it is resolved.)

I53-2.5. Walnut Drawing Ink
I70. Moon Palace Sumi Ink, 2 oz.
I38. Dr. Martin's Bleed Proof White Ink (optional)

S852. Small Dinky Dips (S304)

Do you have a book list that was used in your Lesson 1? I can't seem to navigate around the forum to find it. Thank you in advance!

Offline EllenMarieM

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 06:59:19 PM »
I have bought a TON of nibs to try out, and I've been trying to use the Nikko G and Zebra G the most since they are so frequently recommended for beginners. But do they seem super HARD to anyone else? I feel like maybe I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling but I feel like i have to apply SO MUCH pressure to get the nib to flex... its just not a pleasurable experience for me. I mostly use the Gillott 404... any suggestions on what else to use if I love this one?? Thanks!
Ellenmarie
Pharmacist, Amateur Calligrapher, Cat Lady
Instagram

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 08:06:48 PM »
Yes the G nibs require more pressure than most nibs, it's also why they last a long time. If you get a chance to try the Titanium Zebra G you might find it flex easier, it's easily becoming a favorite of many calligraphers (still a stiffer nib but a bit less so from my experience). I'm not sure if the Hiro 41 is still on a bad batch but many people like that as well.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 04:05:03 AM »
I mostly use the Gillott 404... any suggestions on what else to use if I love this one??

If you like the 404 that's no bad thing, since they're inexpensive and easily available.  You might find the Hunt 101 enjoyable, which is quite soft without being a prima donna; and it would be worth getting a couple of Gillott 170s to try.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »

Do you have a book list that was used in your Lesson 1? I can't seem to navigate around the forum to find it. Thank you in advance!

If you go to the forum homepage: Flourish, down on the bottom right, there are links set up to access the books I recommend. For the lessons, I followed my own handouts but these are based (roughly) off the lessons in Eleanor Winter's Mastering Copperplate book, which is the text I recommend.
Clickable link:
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:35 AM »
I had a calligraphy teacher that referred to the Eleanor Winters style as "hillbilly" and said IAMPETH was the only source to use.  I like the Winters book and still fine it very helpful.  To each his own....

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 02:39:48 PM »
I had a calligraphy teacher that referred to the Eleanor Winters style as "hillbilly" and said IAMPETH was the only source to use.  I like the Winters book and still fine it very helpful.  To each his own....

That's.. blasphemy!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

:o :o :o That book is like my bible!
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline Cam N.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2015, 11:08:50 AM »
Cam, if the oil is not off, you cannot keep ink on the nib. - It won't "gather" on the underside of the nib, above the tines & below the breather hole.  Instead, it will slide right off the nib.  It doesn't take much to get the oil off. - You can spit on it, if you don't mind that.  Or, dip the nip in rubbing alcohol & then rinse in running water.  You should be then good to go!  If you prep your nib BEFORE you insert it in the nib holder, then you may get more oil (from your fingers) on the nib, which will once again cause it to resist ink.  I use some small jewelry-making pliers to insert my nibs, so I keep my hands completely off of them after they are prepared.

Post back if you still have any questions!

Janis

Does that mean I have to prepare the nib every time I use it? Also, how do I take care of them so they won't rust?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:09 PM »
Does that mean I have to prepare the nib every time I use it? Also, how do I take care of them so they won't rust?

Nope, just the once when it's new.  Just avoid touching it with your fingers and you should be fine.  If you feel that the nib isn't taking ink as well as it might after that, a dip in or wipe with surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) is the modern way to take care of that.  The old school method - licking it - also works well.  :)

As for rust, that's more of a problem in humid climates I guess, but if you make sure the nib is dry before putting the pen away that ought to do.  The wisdom amongst woodworkers is that tools which are used everyday don't rust - and it's true.  So don't give it time!

Offline Chandra

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2015, 06:25:38 AM »
Hey there,
I'm using Nikko G and Brause steno at the moment.
I'm feeling uncomfortable that i need to press quite hard for the Nikko G and i love the way Brause feels easier to press.
Does this mean i have a light hand ? Sorry if it's a dumb question , i'm still a newbie.
Please do recommend me some nibs to shop for , i'm currently interested in purchasing Brause EF 66, Leaonardt EF Principal, Esterbrook 355, Hiro 700 and Gillott 1950 Nib.
I'm currently using an speedball oblique , and am thinking about the peerless oblique holder recommended by Erica , and would love to also buy Hourglass Adjustable Oblique because of all the post of people loving it. Please do share with me your opinions  :)

Regards,
Chandra